Hard starting 2000 ford superduty 7.3l diesel help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard starting 2000 ford superduty 7.3l diesel help

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2000 Ford F350 superduty 4X4 auto 7.3L diesel that I could use some help on. Now I have been a heavy equiptment diesel mechanic all my life, now this truck is very hard to start and its out in the field so I dont see it much however I tried to start it the other day and it just cranked, now keep in mind that it is 78 deg outside and the truck has been setting for three hours and the driver said here is how I start it, plug in the block heater for two hours then one person sprays a small amount of starting fluid in the intake hose contentiously as someone else cranks the motor with NO throttle for one to two mins until it idles on its own then let it idle for 15 mins before tring to drive it at all. so I checked and replaced the GPR not working and one glow plug was bad replaced it also, replaced the ICP
sensor and IPR valve, checked the injuctor harness, I have power to the GP's, I took it to the ford dealer and was told the high pressure oil pump was bad and the fuel pump was bad so I replaced it also, I dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the pickup screens and I have good flow from the pump, the AIH is working as well, the oil is new as all the filters and I am useing 15-40 shell diesel oil, I cleaned and resealed the fuel filter housing, I have tried in the past to find any codes and none so far, I am getting frusterated and could use some help please I guess im not up on the 7.3L like I thought so I turned here theres always someone smarter LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow, you've certainly eliminated a Lot!

What about just Low Compression?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not sure I willl run a test in the morning, I have to rule out a cam sensor because when your cranking the engine the tack is working
Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Still change the CPS.. especially if its the original black one, buddies truck had the same problem wouldnt run etc etc and had to plug it in, it was the dumb CPS! lol
Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok I changed the CPS and still have the same problem .....
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I did my Compression test and 1= 360, 3=300, 5=300, 7=275, 2=340, 4=360, 6=340, 8=325, now I know some are low but it should still start and run, however on the left bank the wire harness going into the valve cover I found a section where all the wires have no insulation on all of them so I will repair them but I think that the ECM might be bad because of it, any ideas to test it thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I repaired the wire harness with solder and shrink tube and I changed the injector controler and it still wont start
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

HOLY $HIT!

Let me understand this..... you've replaced:

ICP
IPR
HPOP
IDM
CPS
GPR
Fuel Pump
Filters & Oil

and Inspected the screens in the tank and the UVCH connectors........

AND you have compression!

Well, I'm gonna have to THINK about THIS one....

You're obviously capable of doing anything to this truck, but (and here I don't mean to insult you) let's go over the Basics again. This is my entire "Check List" for a No-Start (sometimes you can't see the "Forest from the Trees" ) been-there-done-that!

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key?

Tach Movement? - does the tach needle move up slightly when cranking?

Fuel - pump runs? Fuel refilling filter housing? Tank below 1/4?

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking really slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)

Has the "Check Engine" been coming on at all? - codes would be the fastest way to direct you. Unfortunately, it takes a special scanner to retrieve them...

You could try disconnecting the plug on the ICP sensor to tell the IPR to go full open. Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? Try "rapping" on the IPR with a screwdriver handle, sometimes if stuck, you can "free it up". Also, check the valve cover harnesses, and make sure they are plugged in.

Also, here's a cut & paste from somebody else (sorry to the author, I don't know who you are...)

-------These tests will diagnose probably 97% of the problems on a powerstroke----

7.3's only need fuel pressure, oil pressure, Power with electrical continuity and air to run.

The first and easiest way to diagnose (always the best place to start) is with a FORD scanner, Auto Enginuity, Snap-On brick scanner, etc... You need to have a scanner that actually WORKS on Ford Powerstroke Diesels in order to get these readings. Here are a few items you should get off the scanner.

Codes, are there any? Is there an SES (Service engine soon, check engine light) on when it's idling? If there are no codes then you should perform a Buzz test to double check good connection with the injectors. This could identify if you have an issue with your UVCH, Electrical wiring on the motor or IDM.

If you pass those tests then you need to check ICP and the IPR duty cycle. When cranking on the truck you should watch your ICP quickly jump from 0 psi to 15, 100, 250, 400+ psi and once it goes past 400 psi it should start. Meanwhile your IPR should be ramping up in a similarly quick fashion while cranking. You should see 9 - 14 volts with the key on depending upon the condition of the IPR. It should ramp up from 14 to 20, 25, 30, 32 etc... and level out around <35 psi in order to start. If it ramps up to 65, 75, 85 etc, there is another issue at hand. Watch your ICP/IPR while idling. ICP should stay around 500-700 psi and IPR should stay around 9-14v.

Finally if all that passes, we need to know what your fuel pressure is when you turn your key on, while you're cranking and once it is started. The truck may start and sputter if you're getting 20 psi or less... but most likely this isn't your problem. I have seen trucks with dead pumps get started and then the injectors siphoned enough fuel to stay running even though the gauge showed 0 psi of fuel pressure.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes the WTS light comes on, yes the tach has movement, yes the fuel pump runs and fills the filter housing and it has a 1/2 of a tank I put the fuel in, yes it is cranking, the reason I had the truck to the shop is the starter went out som I put a rebuilt one in and two good batterys in and it cranks fast, no the truck does not have a chip, like i said the tank has a half of a tank, ok now that I fixed the wiring yes I have a check engine light on when running however my scanner does not support the powerstrok diesel so I willl need to get one, I disconected the ICP sensor no change and rapped in the IPR and no change and every thing is pluged in, where do you want me to check the fuel pressour at ? I will get the corect scanner and go from there.

Last edited by beckco909; 11-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckco909 View Post
I will get the corect scanner and go from there.
At this point, I'm sure that's your Best Bet!

Monitor the sensors as it's doing it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.