2000 F-250 with te 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F-250 with te 7.3

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a couple questions. This thread is also in the general discussion but I thought I would put it here also
So here it goes:
I saw a 2000 f250 ec sb for sale on my way to work. Here's all the info on it:
2000 f250 psd with the 7.3 6-speed
it has 184,000 miles
an edge juice tuner and a bully dog intake
and he's asking $10,500
Its has some rust above the right rear tire, and it sounds like above the left rear has already been repaired. The corners behind the front doors have a little rust but not bad
Is that a good deal? Idk much about diesels let along powerstrokes.
What are some common problems with these? Is this a good deal? We took it for a test drive and it was amazing. There was a little play in the steering but it has bigger wheels and tires on it. Also when we turned the wheel all the way to the left to back into where he had it parked there was a humming sound. Not sure if it was the pump or what but we asked him about it and he said it isn't low on steering fluid or anything so if u guys could help me out witg that that would be great. I don't remember what it was but he said that if something was replaced the humming would probably go away. But overall it is a great truck and was a blast to ride in ( I can't drive stick yet but will be learning today)
Oh and he said we could play around with the edge so we did and had it set to extreme and seemed like there was a little slip in the tranny through 5th (we were on the throttle through all the gears). He said tranny work has been done and has paper work for it so I'm not real sure why it was slipping or at least left like I was slipping
And thank you in advance

Sent from an app that costs $2.99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Anybody?

Sent from AutoGuide app for iPhone
Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the price is a little high for being rusty. The slipping you felt was the clutch slipping. The humming was probably the power steering pump whining... common problem. A power steering fluid flush will probably help that noise. The loose steering is probably in the steering box. You can tighten the nut up on it to fix it for now.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I think the price is a little high for being rusty. The slipping you felt was the clutch slipping. The humming was probably the power steering pump whining... common problem. A power steering fluid flush will probably help that noise. The loose steering is probably in the steering box. You can tighten the nut up on it to fix it for now.
Yeah I figured that it was the clutch slipping but was it only doing that from the added hp? And it was only doing it in 5th. And alright on the power steering fluid flush. And yeah I was thinkin either that or the ball joints? My friends f350 that has, i think, a 10" lift on it and has big wheels/tires as well has the same amount of play in the steering as the one that I'm thinking about driving

Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Bump

Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 AM

If it's slipping in its highest gear then the clutch is on the way out. It will probably need to be replaced soon, look into South Bend clutches that can handle more power than the stocker. My buddy's 12v Cummins started slipping in 5th gear and ended up giving up all together, sounds exactly like what's going on with this one.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
If it's slipping in its highest gear then the clutch is on the way out. It will probably need to be replaced soon, look into South Bend clutches that can handle more power than the stocker. My buddy's 12v Cummins started slipping in 5th gear and ended up giving up all together, sounds exactly like what's going on with this one.
Well like I said before, we had the edge juice w/ attitude on extreme and it was only slipping in 5th. Was it only doing this because of the added hp?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutts2011 View Post
Well like I said before, we had the edge juice w/ attitude on extreme and it was only slipping in 5th. Was it only doing this because of the added hp?

The added power is most likely a contributor to its slipping, but slipping in high gears first is the begining of the end for your clutch. Eventually it'll slip all the time, but just plan on needing to replace it in the near future, especially if you tow. It's probably original so it's lived a good enough life.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
The added power is most likely a contributor to its slipping, but slipping in high gears first is the begining of the end for your clutch. Eventually it'll slip all the time, but just plan on needing to replace it in the near future, especially if you tow. It's probably original so it's lived a good enough life.
Alright thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM

I have a 6 spd in mine and it did the same (slip in 6th) when it was going out. I replaced it with A south bend that came with everything including fly wheel. And by the way, the pilot bushing that comes with the south bend, the "free heavy duty KEVLAR" bushing is absolute junk. Less than 3,000 miles and I already have to pull the tranny back out to put a new bushing in. The clutch grabs less than an inch off the floor after the bushing failed. The clutch its self is awesome!

Last edited by $howtime; 12-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.