Anything I need to know? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anything I need to know?

I have an 01 7.3 with 282,000 on it. I've had it since it had 20,000 on it and it's been a great truck. As with everything older it's not what it used to be (although I would still put it up against most of them) Getting some rattles and scars, but overall it looks pretty good. Not once in the 262,000 miles has it left me walking, even through the trans/crank sensor problems I always made it home.

Milage isnt what it used to be. I dont have any hard numbers, But I know its less than it was. Starting to use a little oil, and puffs smoke on startup occasionally (fuel I believe) and sluggish sometimes.

Just got done chasing down a vacuum leak that has plagued me for sometime in the hubs so I have 4x4 again. (too lazy to step out and lock them in.)

Just wondering if there is anything I can do maintenance wise to restore some performance to her.

Fairly mechanical, and I have a buddy who is a full time mech, but if you start throwing a bunch of abbreviations at me your gonna lose me.

01' 7.3 F350 long box, superchips tuner, stock tires, k&n intake (my buddy said the turbo looks good yet)

Not the most flattering picture of it but it seems this is all I have.... Watch out for culverts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If your injectors are original its time to get a new set or send em to rosewood for an upgrade/rebuild...

I can almost guarantee they're toast... and that'd explain oil consumption too(injector orings).

And obviously check the turbo for excessive play, is the CCV stock? Check all your boots they may be leaking boost and oil everywhere...

Check your uppipes for leaks, that can cause definitely MPG loss and power loss as well..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
If your injectors are original its time to get a new set or send em to rosewood for an upgrade/rebuild...

I can almost guarantee they're toast... and that'd explain oil consumption too(injector orings).

And obviously check the turbo for excessive play, is the CCV stock? Check all your boots they may be leaking boost and oil everywhere...

Check your uppipes for leaks, that can cause definitely MPG loss and power loss as well..

Yeah, exactly what he said. At that mileage it's most likely time for injectors. It's going to be a pretty big chunk of money to throw in it but it will make the engine run like new, provided everything else on the truck is good.

I would also check the turbo up pipes. With that age and mileage on them I'm sure they are leaking some.

Weak/old injectors plus exhaust leaks/lower boost will make these trucks have much lower power and crap fuel mileage. Fix/check those things and it will run like a brand new truck again.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 AM

That many miles with superchips and k&N filter? How does that happen? If you don't have excessive blow by from the oil fill cap than like the others have said, injectors will rock your world

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide App
Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Read these for as far as starting up.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Just checked the fill cap, There is some blow-by. Not what I would consider extreme, and if I wasnt looking for it I probably wouldn't notice it. I will check on injectors. I will probably take the k&n off and put on the 6637 or whatever it is.

After poking around on here some I noticed some talk about surging. I noticed that for quite a while but was unsure what it was...... Wicked wheel maybe? Is one wheel better than others? I know the w.w. is just a stock replacement more or less. Not looking to go extreme, but If I'm gonna change it anyway might as well try to upgrade......

Ditch the superchip for a php? Tranny is upgraded.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 PM

I got 317k on stock injectors and they still seem fine to me.
The WW can fix the surge, it might not. The WW is just one name for it. Bank's wheel, X wheel. It's also the compressor wheel off an early 99.
A custom tuned chip will do much better to your truck than the superchip. The tuner will tune it EXACTLY to what you have on the truck and what you want the truck to do.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Injector o-rings need to be replaced. I'd be willing to bet you have a few that are burnt/leaking. When you're in there, replace all the glowplugs, and consider replacing the UVCH's (Under ValveCover Harnesses). Now would also be a good time to replace your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) spring, I'm sure it has weakened up some in the 282,000 miles its been in service. Uppipes are also going to be leaking. While it may not be readily apparent, It's a good time to replace them. Get the brass ones that are sold. I Forget the manufacturer off the top of my head, but that will ensure you are once again leak free. Once you get that taken care of, do a thorough service-Fuel filter, trans service, differentials, etc. Change it all. Probably be a good time to check all the hoses for deterioration, especially the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor hose. If it starts to leak, performance will suffer. Remove the EBP (Exhaust Backpressure Sensor), clean all the carbon off of it, and make sure the tube coming from the manifold is clear. You'd be amazed how much performance is lost if that sensor is plugged or restricted.

If you do everything above, I can pretty much guarantee you get all your old power back. Consider replacing the K&N filter with a DIY Tymar setup. Much longer filter replacement/cleaning intervals, and superior cleaning (especially in a diesel!). Ditch the superchip and get a good flip chip (I recommend DP tuner) with a stock, economy, tow, mileage, and performance tune. If you don't already have one, now would be a great time to get an aftermarket exhaust system. Stainless is always my choice, and diamond eye makes a very economical system that fits very well. Ditch the cat if equipped, but keep the muffler. Finally, a shift kit and a 6.0 transmission cooler would be great upgrades for your trans. Cheap, and good insurance. Consider a set of gauges. A lot of guys (myself included) run the insight CTS. Much cheaper than mechanical gauges, and very useful.

After you get all that done, drive her another 300k, and repeat!

Last edited by dazdillenger; 11-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Ok so I cleaned the EBT tonight. It was pretty dirty, I woulndt say that it was plugged, but it was dirty. While doing that I noticed a small inline filter of some kind while laying underneath the pas. side. I never traced where it went or where it came from but it appears to have never been changed. Is it another fuel filter?

FPR spring is ordered and should be here in a few days.

I looked up underneath at the up pipes and they are leaking up at the donut. When I get the new turbo wheel I will go after that. I need to get my gauges hooked up so I would guess the time to drill the sensor in is when I have the pipes off?

I fixed one of the under valve covers harnesses last year after the diesel shop soaked me $800 to fix the miss I had only to find out when I picked it up that night it was still running like crap. I poked around on here (I think) and found the quarter trick to fix it. Got him to refund my money as I told him to check the harnesses when I brought it in. $799.75 savings

I wonder if some of the "road" noise I am gettting is the pipes leaking????? The truck used to be somewhat quiet but it is pretty noisy going down the road now....... will see.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I never really noticed leaking uppipes causing the truck to be louder going down the road-the leak is really only apparent at higher rpm anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.