Installed new engine - No ICP reading, how long until oil pressure question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed new engine - No ICP reading, how long until oil pressure question

Put a "new" 110k mile 96 engine in my '02. I've got it all buttoned up but when I connect auto enginuity, my IPR duty cycle goes to 65% cranking and there is no high pressure oil reading. I've cranked it over a few times and don't see any oil pressure on the stock gauge while cranking, same with the icp reading, it just sits at 0.

How long should it take to see oil pressure? I just put the hpop reservoir back on and after cranking a couple times the oil level is now ~2.5" from the top of the reservoir for what its worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil level should be ~1" from top of resi. Topping it up with a small funnel will cut down on cranking to prime the HPO rails, which I assume would be empty from swapping injectors. You should be getting a reading on the dash gauge. Double check the IPR wiring.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was trying out a starter I had laying around (broke the solenoid on my old one) and it wasn't turning the engine fast enough to prime it. Got the new solenoid in today and I've got oil pressure on the gauge while cranking and the oil level is about .5" from the top of the reservoir.

Still got 0.0psi showing up on the ICP via autoenginuity though. I'm using the hpop/ipr from the super duty (stalled running down the road, wouldn't start, filled crank full of fuel), so perhaps the IPR is suspect.

IPR readings are 14% with key on, it jumps up to 65% while cranking. I may throw in the spare IPR from the 96 pump and see if anything changes, but does anyone have any thoughts from here? IPR wiring looks fine, I messed around with it a bit to see if there were any loose connections and it still acted the same.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Swapped IPRs and it still acts the same. I can get 20psi while cranking for 20-30 seconds now. I'll keep cranking on it, but if anyone has any words of wisdom let me know!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulled the lines off of the hpop and it spits out a significant amount of oil while cranking.

Topped off the oil lines with oil while they were disconnected (got about a quarter quart in each side).

Also pulled the ICP and topped off oil there, again it didn't take much, but there was some air in there.

Cranked again and this time didn't see any movement on the ICP after 30 seconds or so - usually it will bump up to 20psi or so halfway through until the end.

I'm wondering if my ICP is shot? Its about a year old, bought from the ford dealership. There was a very very small amount of oily residue inside it when I disconnected it the first time (a lot less than on the failed one that I replaced with it last year). I might try hooking fuel up and seeing if it will start with the ICP unplugged. Its probably too late today, but I may also pick up a 3000psi gauge and fittings tomorrow too.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Put the manual gauge on each bank (to verify no injector orings leaking - they're brand new anyways) and I'm getting no pressure on either side.

WTF is going on here? Is the HPOP toast? I've cranked it for a couple days now using the 30 second crank/let starter cool down method and I'm not seeing any improvement in the ICP readings - 20psi is about the highest I can manage.

I do have the stock 15* hpop from the OBS, maybe I'll swap that in to see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Electrical Ogre

This might be a dumb question, but are the under valve cover oil rail drain plugs in? (the ones you remove to drain the oil rail before removing injectors.)

Have you measured voltage at the IPR connector to see if the solenoid is getting power during cranking?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
This might be a dumb question, but are the under valve cover oil rail drain plugs in? (the ones you remove to drain the oil rail before removing injectors.)

Have you measured voltage at the IPR connector to see if the solenoid is getting power during cranking?
Good thought, I didn't think about those plugs.

I just finished swapping the hpop with the OBS one that I had laying around, refilled the reservoir and it popped up to 3200psi while cranking the first time. This one will get me down the road for now hopefully. Sure am glad I decided to delete the fuel bowl, it made the hpop replacement a breeze.

Now to hook up the fuel and see if this beast will run.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Electrical Ogre

Good to hear you're making progress.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got fuel hooked up yesterday and removed the manual hpo gauge from the passenger side head. Went to start it and it turned over and wanted to run but obviously there was air in the fuel lines so it died. Now I can't get the HP oil back up above 100? I've cranked it 8 or also times for 30 seconds and on the last time it wouldn't go above 30psi. I swapped IPRs about halfway through and that made no difference either.

I don't understand why it would build great pressure the first time it cranked over with the "new" pump, but now won't build any pressure at all? Reservoir has been full each time I've checked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.