Dipstick tube flange nut - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dipstick tube flange nut

noticed a nice puddle under my truck this a.m. and got to tracing it and found it seeping out from behind the flange nut on the oil pan

Spent an hour or so researching the forums and found how to fix it, even talked to NC Hornet via email about it to which he told me his was leaking after being fixed a few weeks back

Called local dealership and they happened to have one of each o-ring and a flange nut in stock. Went and picked up the parts and set out to the shop at my folks house 100 mi. away.

Got started on the process and noticed the flange nut was barely more than finger tight, but decided to proceed on with the new o-rings and nut anyway (just in case the nut was warped as I had read some people claim). Opened up the package and the o-ring that goes inside of the oil pan was visibly more thin than the one that came out I double checked the part number with Ford and they verified it was the correct one, so went ahead with install.

Got all put back together and torqued to specs and took it for a test drive, all was dry. As we were cleaning the shop up, left it running just to make sure and all was good. Got it back home ~120 miles later and there was a couple of drops starting to form at the bottom of the new flange nut

My question to those of you that have done this... did you noticed a different sized o-ring when you put it in? I'm wondering if this may be my problem? The o-ring I took out still looked fine, and I am fairly certain that the flange nut had just worked it's way loose... but I figured while I was in there, I might as well use the new one. I may try to put the old one back in and see if that stops it.

I will be keeping an eye on it for the next few days, and will be back at the shop next week so I will go back over it really good again and see if I can't seal it up for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

did you use any silicone or hi-temp gasket maker?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 AM

yes, a little bit of black RTV around the outside of the flange nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.