POWER STEERING CONFUSION!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
POWER STEERING CONFUSION!!!!!

Yesterday my ford PS system made no noise and worked fine.... then backing out of driveway i blew fitting on hose that goes from pressure port of pump up to the HB.... the fitting just came apart.... took belt off motor then pulled back into driveway.... removed hose and replaced, topped off fluid, put front axle on jackstands, started motor and cycled steering.... fluid level would not go down, pump sounds like its almost empty, brakes and steering now act like its empty.... fluid level still full however less than half a quart was added and more than that hit the ground when line broke... i need to drive 90 miles round trip to work tomorrow...oh yeah i tried driving it a couple miles gently and fluid still wont go down
A friend suggested relief valve stuck closed.... im clueless...
THANKS FOR THE HELP
duck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM

i had a situation last year were i blew a line in my truck. i was able to just fix the line and fill the resivior back up with ATF(i just found out last night our trucks take ATF not powersteering fluid) and it worked fine. I was watchin a vid posted on here about how to flush powersteering system. Maybe you have created a vapor lock in the system. On the top of your master cylinder near the fire wall is a low pressure return line. Pull that off and connect about a 3 foot lenght of hose to it. Put the loose end of the hose into a bucket. Pump the brakes a few times with the engine running and see if fluid comes out of the hose. Maybe this will help
Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM

WOW get this.....was looking at a 4150 holley that i was given and was beat to death on fuel bowls cuz floats kept stickin and someone was too lazy to fix the problem right..... got me to thinkin that maybe my tractor hydraulics was right.... sticky relief valve.... so i took a small ballpeen hammer and started tapping on the hydra boost unit.... had my wife start my ford while i stared at resevior of pump...... it emptied it right away..... two and a half quarts later its fulll with no more noise ... fixin to go test drive.... now where can i find explode view of the hydra boost so i can get famaliar with it before i take mine apart to clean and inspect?
THANKS FOR THE HELP
duck

THANKS FOR THE HELP
duck
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Drove to work today..... no problems.... thinking the hydra boost is bout to go out..... 324,000 miles on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.