What’s yer MOST embarrassing Mechanic attempt episode? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What’s yer MOST embarrassing Mechanic attempt episode?

Come on... ! Everybody needs some humor these days............. Here's mine:

Once I had a next door neighbor I did not particularly like. He owned a Ford Granada, 302 auto, 2 door with all the bells and whistles for what it was. It had the 4 wheel disc brake option. I lusted after the rear disc 9inch rear end to have for a 65 Mustang build I was doing. One day he gets towed in to his house. He’s completely flustered at the car, says that’s it, I selling that POS car…I ask what happened. He took off a little hard, the car bucked, backfired, died and when he cranked it ,it spun over real fast but would not fire off. Hummm, plastic timing gear busted I think.. waited a few days of him tinkering with it. He says I’m done, 500 bucks and it’s gone.

I give him 500 bucks, push the car into my yard. He asked what I’d do with it, I told him I’d have it running that following afternoon for about 50 dollars. He went nuts, telling me no way, BS !
Pull distributor top off, spin motor over, no spinny to rotor,,, I smile, go to parts house buy a timing set. Following afternoon, friday after work, grab some tools, buddy comes by with some screwdriver mix, we having a nice cool drink on a hot day, fixin’ to twist wrenches. Neighbor comes out, says you fix that car this evening, I buy it back for 800 bucks,, please….?? An’ I’m really wanting that 9 inch….. Hummmm ? ?

Jack up front end, drop all the steering junk outta the way, unbolt motor mounts, tranny mount, loosen up radiator shroud, then jack motor up enough to get the oil pan off,,,, a PITA little job,,, but we got cool drinks flowing.. The pan was full of broken plastic timing gears.. Alrite !

Take off oil pump to give her a good cleaning, clean out oil pan, drop front side off motor to replace timing chain, have another cool drink. Sit a spell , enjoy my new found luck on a 500 dollar car. Another friend comes over, we have a couple more nice drinks, thing iz looking more better all the time now…  And I still have plenty daylight left.

Throw on new timing set, put front end back together, new oil pan gasket, reattach all the crap I had taken off, dropped motor back down, connected tranny/motor mounts, reinstalled fan shround…….DONE!!!!! Go over to the table by our chairs, to grab my cool drink, and WTH,,, there’s a friggin’ oil pump and shaft laying there…

Ended up firing the thing off later that night and letting the guy have his friggin’ car back to shut up the pizzin’ and moaning….charged him the 500 plus parts and 100 for labor and made him take his maiden voyage to the store for another bottle of good vodka and OJ…… He became a better neighbor after that. I did not feel real good that next Saturday morning….. had to have been the oil pump that caused my bad head.
RB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's a long list...

When I installed my Dynatrac freespin kit, I had never worked with a universal before. I had everything apart, pulled the shafts and went to remove the universal. Somehow from the directions I read, I thought that the universal compressed for removal. I only succeeded in compressing the yoke. It turns out that the only way you can buy a new inner shaft is with the outer shaft that I wasn't going to use.

My favorite was when I was in the NAVY working in the nose of a F18 with a new airman. She was having issues getting a bolt loose. I said "remember it's lefty tighty righty loosey" and quickly walked off with a big grin on my face.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was doing the brakes on my old Chevy pickup. I had the brake fluid reservoir open to gravity bleed the lines for a while. I came back after a couple beers and closed the bleed valves. I then started the truck and jumped on the brake pedal, forgetting that the reservoir cover was off. There was a brake fluid geyser coming out the top for a moment. What a freaking mess. I've done other stupid stuff but this one was completely avoidable.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My buddy (a Carpenter) came to me because he had this squeaking coming from under the hood of his '03 Ranger. Someone at his work told him it was the Serpentine Belt and, because he's got 100K on it, I thought that was probably a good idea anyway.

But, when he brought it to me I found the noise coming from the Synchronizer (kind of a CPS in a distributor housing). So, we got one at the parts store and changed it No Problem. Then, I removed the belt.

Just sprung the tensioner to the side and took it off, was kinda sure I knew how it was routed And went to put the new one on....

But wait, how can this be? It went over here I'm sure but doesn't seem to fit..... MUST be the wrong Belt! NO,,,, compared to the old one it's the same length... WTF?????

BOY do I look like a JERK! Can't even replace a simple belt! NO under the hood diagram (I thought EVERYTHING had that sticker) I Can't figure where I'm going wrong.... Let's look in the Owners Manual, it MUST be there..... NOPE! Try again

HOW CAN I NOT BE ABLE TO FIGURE THIS OUT???????????????????????

Let's go to the Internet, Google can find it for me...... NOPE! Try again

I don't want to bore you,, it took over an Hour of searching and re-routing to get this stupid thing on right OBVIOUSLY I look, to a non-mechanical guy, like I don't know what I'm doing,, the sun's going down and he'd just like to go home,,, I'm tearing my hair out!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 AM

I spent 2-3 weeks working on my farm tractor trying to make it run better.
I started with new plugs, wires and cap. Nice simple 3 cylinder motor....
I thought the distributor turned clockwise.... after a new carb and rebuilding the distributor and scratching my head raw, I accidently discovered the distributor turns counter clockwise on the who knows how many attempts to reset the timing as I tried to stop her from backfiring like a son of a gun. I have yet to tell the wife that all those evenings working on the tractor and all those parts I ordered was because I had the firing order backwords.

This work went on in the horse barn, the horses are no longer gun shy, you could fire a cannon next to them, they wouldn't flinch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.