Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just Ordered a Phoenix 6 chip

3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  bruce51d 
#1 · (Edited)
Just Ordered a Phoenix 6 chip*UPDATE*

This is for my sons B-day. I just gave him the tunes list and he chose 80hp DD, 100hp performance, 120hp race, whisper mode, and smoke show,...yeah,yeah I told him when and where he could use that one. We live in the country, so he won't be annoying anyone. If I like the way his drives, I will be ordering one for myself!:D

#3 ·
Thats good to know!..heard alot of good things about these tunes!

#6 ·
I need some shocks and a steering stabilizer...wanna adopt me?

If you don't want to buy those things, I got a list a page long of things I want do do eventually, those are just the pressing issues.

Just kidding. You will love the tunes, might as well order em for yourself now bud. I love mine:thumb:

#8 ·
Going to have to say the same, you will be getting one for yourself!! The 120 race is pretty awesome, but the DD 80 is no slouch either. I have had no complaints, tunes are pretty spot on.

Scott

#9 ·
Thats all good to hear guys....think you talked me into it:D The sons will be here Fri(est. shipping arrival) If its all you say it is, its a cheap upgrade!

#10 ·
you'll definately be buying one for yourself. i have tried a few different programmers and chips and php is by far the best. and it lowered my egts when im not getting on it. just got me another 7.3 that will be getting one this week. :woot:

#11 ·
Well, its here... just looking over the install instructions..looks pretty easy. Me and the boy will be putting it in this afternoon...will report results:thumb:

#13 ·
I just installed my Phoenix chip first of the month, when the engine is on, tried to wiggle the PCM a little to see if the truck doesn't turn off. If it does you'll need to mount the cover after you cut out the slot so the chip won't be forced in too much. Found out the hard way.

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry, was busy grinning:icon_ford:....All I can say is WOW!!....This is the biggest bang for the buck you can get for your 7.3!... Got him 80DD,100perf,120race, whisper, and ss.. The first three are bad ***!..really woke this truck up!...shifts are not hard, it just pulls like a freight train, 120 race sets you back in the seat and makes your teeth highly visable. Whisper just idles it down and cuts the outside eng noise by I would say 30%, and it seems to be a nice feature if you do alot of drive up stuff. Smoke Show did nothing. Neither one of our trucks smoke anyways, even full throttle. He set it on SS, waited a few seconds, reved it up..nothing. No biggie though. I can see where you would pretty much leave it on 80dd about 95% of the time. If you see one of your buddys at a red light..flip it to 120Race and blow his doors off. Install was straight forward. The only thing that was a PITA was having to pull the chip three times to rebuff the pcm contacts. I was so paranoid about removing too much of the tin, I didn't get a good connection the first couple of times. There is ALOT of silicone on the pcm, and I had to use some acetone to get it all off, rebuff with the scotchbright pad, and all was good. I just didn't want to buff it down to the copper, and ruin a pcm. DO NOT attemp to start your truck up without a WTS light verification, if you don't get one, it aint gonna start. Take your time, pull the chip back out, buff on the contacts some more, put it back together, get a WTS light, fire it up, and prepare to have your mind blown. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!......Aaron. P.S. like Jerry said, just cut the back of the case out to prevent wire pinching, or forcing the chip in too far. P.S. Ordering mine today!")

#16 ·
Here is a tip for your chip when you get it.. clean your PCM with a brass brush, it wont hurt the contacts and it works WAY better..paint section in hardware store... And oh put a load on it with 'smoke show' not just idling.. you should get a huge poof.. otherwise tell bill cuz that aint right.

#17 ·
Just verified that with the boy on SS...has to be under a load. Said he turned day into night out by the house.....damn kids:hehe:

#18 ·
OK maybe this should go in Kill Story's, but I work at a Ford Dealership. Had the boy come by a few min. ago. Grabbed a new 6.7 PS off the line and we lined em up at the stoplight down the road. That 6.7 got left in the dust..er a smoke;) three times in a row!!:rofl:

#20 ·
Thats it!.....stock exhaust. We just unbolted the muffler just past the cab. No cat on either one of our trucks. I think the pipe is 4" stock. I raced one of my co workers and was a little surprised myself. It just kept pulling and pulling. Of course, before all this the co worker was calling BS on me. So I called my son up and said "swing by, I want to check something out"....We did three runs... 6.7 counld't hang. No guages yet....Christmas is almost here though:) I can clearly see now he is going to need them....uh..and me to, just order my chip today:)

#21 ·
Preparing to order mine. Gauges have arrived and going in during the Turkey holiday. Still haven't decided which tunes. Just curios, what is PHP's version for "economy"? I'm looking for better milage when tooling around town or taking a lazy trip down the highway. I already have done a DIY intake and have a 4" turbo back exhaust.
Steve

#23 ·
My son says he is seeing better fuel economy in the 80DD mode. We need to hand calculate it, and then I'll be able to give some accurate numbers. I know that before in stock form, he was getting 17 pretty consistantly.... 3.73 axle btw.

#24 ·
I just ordered a TS 6 position chip and will be installing it later this week. Do I need to do a boost fowler first? I understand there are a couple things I can do one is unplugging the red wire, second is the diy fowler with the regulator or buy a fowler.

help

#26 ·
I highly suggest DP Tuner. Jody Tipton is a man among boys when it comes to tuning 7.3s. Many will agree with me on this one. He's the best when it comes to custom tuning and his stock tunes are not only safe for your truck but will put you in the back seat!! I don't know much about these phoenix chips you guys are talking about, but I'm just relaying what I know. Just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.