Need to warm up truck or not?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to warm up truck or not?!?

Ok, I have surely heard a lot of folks who insist that we must warm up these trucks before rolling them down the road. I have owned a few diesels and many gassers, never had a problem with this technique. Back in Buffalo, I warmed up the car because I wanted to be warm not because the car needed it.
I have always been of the mindset of oil pressure = good to go. I let it idle for 30 seconds or so and I am off, no matter the temp. I don't rip on it, I just drive a touch slow the first .5 miles then normal driving.
I wish there was a retrofit kit or something for instant cabin heat like the new Powerstrokes have.

What are your thoughts?

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM

I don't warm up, just do like you and let it idle for about 30 second and take it easy until it's all the way up to temp. If I get a PHP I will get a high idle position, but I wouldn't let it just warm up at standard idle for very long.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Agreed.. I think 5 mins max(in extreme colds) would be the longest, even then its not building heat in that temp, unless you have a high idle tune..
Old 11-11-2011, 03:14 AM

I plug mine in on a timer below 30 that comes on 3 hours before I leave. Then I start it, scrape the windows and leave. It gets driven like I'm 97 years old until the temp comes up a little bit though. Don't really know if this is really necessary I just don't like the sounds of ball bearings getting launched around under the hood till she's warmed up.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
I don't warm up, just do like you and let it idle for about 30 second and take it easy until it's all the way up to temp.
I do about the same, it might get a few extra seconds if I need to scrap the windows but idling away for 20 minutes isn't doing your engine any favors. If you want heat in the cab quicker I would plug the truck into the timer and have the timer set to turn on 3 hours before you leave.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Govy Magnet

I have it plugged in under 35, as stated above also with a timer and 3 hours before start. I start it, hit the high idle, go inside and grab the existing things I may need, and fill up my coffee cup and water bottle, then leave. I keep the RPM's under 2250 until my temp gauge is in the nominal range. I am unsure if the temp gauge is an idiot light like the tranny gauge though, when I do a fuel pressure gauge I am getting a true engine coolant temp.

~Phil
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Heres what I do.

I go out start the truck. Run back in quick grab a soda and give the dog a treat. Then I go.

Once it gets down below 15 degrees I plug the truck in on a timer set to come on 3 hours before I leave. The rest of the routine is the same
Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd at least give it long enough for the glow plugs to turn off, which is about 90 seconds. It really depends on how cold it is and if it's been plugged in. If it hasn't been plugged in, I'll let it idle for a few mins for the smoke to clear up.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM

In the summer I don't warm mine up very long, maybe a few mins and i'm off. But in the winter I plug in and let her idle a good 15 mins or so before I even hop in it(remote start). But I live in AK so it gets a little cold and I hate cold trucks. Heated garages FTW!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Similar to Dave. I fire her up. Got to the mail box and get my AM paper. Set the radio and go. So its about 2 minutes.

If it is really cold she is plugged in. This morning it was 30* not plugged in. By the 2 minute mark she was at 65*. I limped down the road for the first few miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.