Electrical issue please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrical issue please help

So my truck has been acting up in the mornings lately. I fire the truck up about 15-20 minutes before I leave with the heater off and no electrical accessory on when. When I turn the wipers on to clear the moisture off the windshield the truck wants to die all the lights on the dash illuminate the truck stuggles to stay running if I turn the wipers off all is well. Once I get going this problem goes away. The truck has 2 new batteries in it. I have been getting the battery light every now and again, however my Scan Gauge is showing 14 volts. I am leaning towards an alternator but don't know Any and help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, you should always post your trucks specifics (yr/mdl/mods).

Second, what's the status of you CPS? The original one could actually do that! There's some sort of interference with the wiper motor -> Stumbles when it rains??

Next, if it does it with the wipers and not the headlights (which draw several times what the wipers do) I wouldn't think it'd be the added load so I'm not sure the Alt would be the culprit... In any case, if the light has come on inspect that plug and connections at the back of the alternator.

Voltage isn't everything though, bad connections (+ & -) in Many places, can supply the correct voltage when static but fail under load. Look for corroded or "green" ground strap ends. They are very important and are located at a bunch of different points.

Read that link, if you have a spare CPS try swapping it now, if you don't NOW would be a good time to get one!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you for the reply and link. As far as the CPS are you referring to the Crank Position Sensor? If so I have no idea the shape it is in but after everything else I can only imagine it is the original. When purchasing one is OEM Ford the only way to go or is a NAPA sensor adequate? All of my connections are good as I went through all of them. My truck is an early 99 7.3 6 speed. 6637 intake and stock exhaust with the muffler and cat removed. Thank you for all of your help and time.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's the thing,,, the CPS was recalled and replaced under a campaign that was started Many years ago. So, the chances that yours is the original one is kinda sketchy...

Here's how you can tell, the original ones were made of Black Plastic, the replacement Ford used was Grey. If you were looking from the front of your truck, towards the motor, it's located at around 10 o'clock behind the crankshaft balancer.

BIG CONTROVERSY on CPS's and what's the best one to use (do Not use anything that's not from Ford or International, none of that aftermarket crap...) but it's all about the colors Black/Grey/Blue,,, whatever, I think you just want a good spare to try and the Grey is the cheapest and easiest to find (If yours is Black, and bad, you might even be IN for a Free one installed at the dealership - take a look at it )

Here's how to find & change -> Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page<

Here's some of the basics on the differences, and why you might want to hang-on to a Black one (if it's not the problem) -> Black, Grey, & Dark Blue Cam Position Sensor Perdels Test - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

But again, I know your current priority is to solve the problem.

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-10-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.