7.3 injector cup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 injector cup

I am planning to do my injector o-rings and cups soon. I was planning to make my own tool for the cup removal and install.

Does anyone have an old injector cup lying around (good or bad) that they'd be willing to throw in an envelope to me on my dime? I was going to use one to make the install tool before I tear the truck down.

Unless of course someone has a better idea? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im guessing you have diesel in your coolant so you're doing the cups? I'd post in the wanted section for an injector cup im sure someone has somethin around here.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I've installed cups with the actual tools before and they're rather easy to install. The removal tool is just a large tap to tap threads into the bottom of the cup, then a threaded tool is installed that attaches to a slide hammer to pull it out. The install tool looks like the end of an injector and you just use it to beat in the new cup.

Use a big tap and bolt to get the cup out. Usually as you're trying to tap the cup it breaks loose and will start spinning in the head and pull out easy. To install it you'd almost be better off getting a 7.3 injector and taking the solenoid off and using this for your install tool.

Most of the cups aren't to horrible to do in the truck except #7 and 8 can be a pain.

Why are you doing all the cups anyway? If you have one that cracked I would just to the one that you have an issue with.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no diesel in the coolant.

Justinmix, thanks for the info. I am getting some oil smoke on start up. I was going to replace the injector o-rings hoping that it would help. She has 240k on her and I can't stand the idea of doing the o-rings and having to go back in there later for a failed cup.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It's probably fuel smoke on start up, not oil. Is your oil level going down?

With 240k it's more likely that it's time to replace the injectors. When it starts up does it chug and have low power till it gets some heat in it? That's usually a sign of worn injectors.

Injector o-rings usually fail in 3 different ways.

1, compression gets by the copper sealing washer taking out the lower fuel rail o-ring, causing raw fuel to dump into the cylinder. When this happens it will white smoke heavily all the time and can hydro-lock the engine.

2, the upper fuel rail o-ring fails, allowing high pressure oil to get into the fuel system. High pressure oil pressure, 2500+psi, fuel pressure 40-60 psi, so high pressure oil pressure overcomes fuel pressure. This can happen and the truck will still run good, you just keep losing oil. When this happens you can usually tell by checking the fuel in the filter housing. If it's all black then you're probably getting oil in the fuel.

3, the upper o-ring on the injector for the high pressure oil rail will fail. This usually starts out as hard starts when warm, or a possible no start condition.

The other thing that happens is the injector cup itself will crack, allowing fuel to get into the coolant system. Coolant pressure roughly 16 psi max, fuel pressure 40-60 psi, so the fuel pressure overcomes the coolant pressure.

If you don't have fuel in the coolant I would NOT mess with the injector cups. It's a pain to do them in the vehicle and you can cause more problems then you'd fix. Kind of the ol' "if it aint broke don't fix it" thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow! Thanks for the details! I know that took some time and I appreciate it.

When I start the truck, it does have a bit of bluish smoke at first. I get black smoke constantly when it is running. When it is warm it starts fine but a cold start is nearly impossible (I do have some HPOP leaks I think are causing this issue, and I have already performed diagnostics on the GP's, the UVCH, and the relay). When I changed the fuel filter recently, the old one was black and the fuel filter bowl had quite a bit of black sludge in the bottom that I cleaned out.

I bought the truck months back but haven't really been driving much due to the issues since I brought it home.

Sounds like the o-rings may still be a culprit. I have to tear back into anyhow because I think I failed to tighten one or more GP's sufficiently when I buttoned her up. Boy that will make you feel stupid! I won't be working on my truck with only 4 hrs sleep anymore.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Wouldn't hurt to do the injector o-rings but almost sounds like it might be time to replace the injectors. If you've already checked out the glow plug system and all glow plugs are working then I'd bet injectors. 240k on injectors is about all you'll get.

Do you have a block heater on it? If so I bet it will fire right up if you plug it in overnight. If it does that points back to the injectors.

High pressure oil leaks will usually cause a no start when warm, due to the oil thinning out.

Are you using any oil? How much black smoke? Does it only black smoke under load? Do you have a tuner/chip?

Just curious, did it start up good when you first bought it? Or did the guy already have it warmed up when you looked at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.