How to: Power Steering Flush (Video) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to: Power Steering Flush (Video)

Here is my video on power steering flush procedures!

This was easy, took about 2 hours from popping to hood to slamming it closed, and that was with me filming!
Results were great! Brake stiffened up quite a bit and steering quieted a little.

Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Sweet. That's exactly how I did mine.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Great video, it's amazing how much better the power steering sounds when cold after a good flushing. Now get on that brake fluid.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 AM

thanks for the vid... was planning on doing mine this weekend with hopes that it stops whining
Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 PM

great vid i will be doing mine soon. Are all of you guys running a power steering cooler? my truck had one on it stock but i busted it off in a ditch. I just spliced the two lines together and went on with it. Last year I replaced my gear box twice cuz it was leaking and I replace the pump. The secound gear box is leaking again and the pump is winning. Im hoping doing this flush will help with the wine. However im wondering if by not having a power steering cooler did my oil get to hot and i cooked the seals inside the gear box. Maybe thats why is leaking and has so much play already
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Lubrication Addict

Add a Magnefine Filter between the Hydroboost and the Reservoir and you are good for another 30K to 40K miles... Change the filter out @ 10K to 15K miles...

That cheezy plastic lid does not do squat for keeping out moisture and other small particles...

Last edited by SyN; 11-12-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: worry about something else!!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

You need to put the cooler on your todo list near the top. Because we use ATF for fluid it needs to be cooled. If heated enough it can ignite.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 PM

ok well i got another one for ya. I feel studpid saying this but i never knew that they had atf in them. when I put the new pump and gear box in i used powersteering fluid. OOPS. Also i forgot to mention that when i ripped off the power steering cooler in a ditch in the snow i drove it home the last half mile. couldn't really get it to stop or turn. but I was pissed in it was cold as hell outside. This all happened after all the new parts. So now that i know i have been running the wroing fluid and ran it outta fluid, how much have i screwed up. This all happend a year ago and its just now started getting noisy at certain points throughout the turn of the steering wheel
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman40 View Post
ok well i got another one for ya. I feel studpid saying this but i never knew that they had atf in them. when I put the new pump and gear box in i used powersteering fluid. OOPS. Also i forgot to mention that when i ripped off the power steering cooler in a ditch in the snow i drove it home the last half mile. couldn't really get it to stop or turn. but I was pissed in it was cold as hell outside. This all happened after all the new parts. So now that i know i have been running the wroing fluid and ran it outta fluid, how much have i screwed up. This all happend a year ago and its just now started getting noisy at certain points throughout the turn of the steering wheel
Do a good flush. 4 quarts should be good. Then see what happens. Thats really the only way to know how much damage you did without opening everything up.

I think you will be ok, powersteering fluid is better than no fluid.. Wait.. You said you had no fluid.. hmm.

Like I said, flush it and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.