Best Glow Plugs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Best Place to get Glow Plugs

Ok where do I get the best price and quality on Glowplugs. I have a 2002 F-250 7.3L and guess what I got 150,000 and I have yet to replace a GPR or a glow plug. But last winter it was starting to have hard cold starts, even with it plugged in. So where should I get my glow plugs from. My GPR is still good. I think 150,000 on Original glowplugs they got to be weak by now. Also do I need to replace the valve cover gasket when I do this.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 08-31-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

If memory serves me the name and number of the best plugs are the Bosch Durotherm 80033. I got my set of 8 from an internet parts place for $100, sometimes you can catch them on eBay cheaper. I would not use brands like autolite. Some brands have been know to swell up or break off in the heads. You should be able to check resistance at the valve cover plugs to verify bad plugs. If the relay is truly good and the plugs aren’t bad then compression could be the other cold start problem. Either way while I was in there changing the plugs anyway I would take the extra 5 minutes to do a compression test.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:18 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
If memory serves me the name and number of the best plugs are the Bosch Durotherm 80033. I got my set of 8 from an internet parts place for $100, sometimes you can catch them on eBay cheaper. I would not use brands like autolite. Some brands have been know to swell up or break off in the heads. You should be able to check resistance at the valve cover plugs to verify bad plugs. If the relay is truly good and the plugs arenít bad then compression could be the other cold start problem. Either way while I was in there changing the plugs anyway I would take the extra 5 minutes to do a compression test.
Yeah I understand taking the extra time to do the compression test. But, I really think it is the glow plugs, I don't exactly know the life span of glow plugs. But I think 150,000 miles on the ones that came with the truck. I most likely have a few bad ones. This is not just a cold winter day thing either. This is like if it is 50 degrees out cold hard start. I already checked the GPR with volt meter it is working properly. My problem also did not develope over night either I probablly should have done them last fall. But I thought I would be able to get one more winter out of them. Which I did but barely got started some times. It would take 5-10 tries to get the truck to start. That was even with cycling the glow plugs 3 times prior to starting. Being where I work I can not plug the truck in out in the parking lot.

Another thing I was wondering is Can I have like a 10ft block heater wire. Like can I rewire the block heater so the wire is 10 ft long. I know how will I store that long of a wire. Well I have not got that figured out yet. But I am trying to figure out how to eliminate the need to have an extension cord.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey alabamafrog. i was just looking in ur sig..... you got some serious engine work done to your truck huh? must go like a raped ape
Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Also if it was a compression problem the engine would run rough, or idle rough until warm. Which is not the case with my problem. But I maybe wrong, I am just going off of my previous experinces working on diesels.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bigcountry, We have a lot of T444E (7.3's) at work. They all hard start in the winter. Our International rep. told us that if you have even one bad glowplug the system doesn't work. Something about the glowplugs try to split voltage to make up for the bad one. So just replace the set, replaced the gaskets(150,000 miles) and run'er some more.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Beer Drinker/Ballast Guy

I had that hard start thing going for about 3 months. 50+ degrees and I still had to plug it in to even get it to start. I changed my plugs...Napa for about 100 bucks. That did nothing to help it. Changed my GPC and it started right up, haven't had an issue since...but winter's coming soon. As for the gaskets...I bought mine, they are alot more than I thought, but I didn't have to change em. The connections were good and no cracks or anything in the old ones. I'd buy them just in case, then return them if you don't need em. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hey BC Im not sure what you think of sythetic oil, but made a huge difference for me last winter. I am using the Rotella.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up Hi Big Country

I had the same thing going last winter. This spring I changed mine. I got a kit from Powerstrokeshop.com. It came with motorcraft plugs, wire harnesses,and valve cover gaskets. Everything in mine looked good. But with 150,000 on mine I just replaced it all. I haven't been in the cold since the work was done. Hope I'm good to go now HA!!! I did have two bad plugs. Just give them a call and they will fix you up. Fair prices and they know 7,3's. Check out their web site there is an 800 number. Hope this helps-- as we all know winter is coming.
99 Red Stroker
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

I read somewhere that cycling the glowplugs wasnt good for them. And that if you just wait even when the WTS light goes off the plugs are still heating. can anyone else confirm this? I did this last winter and it worked out pretty well no hard starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.