Adding second fuel tank to E450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding second fuel tank to E450

Hey guys,
I am trying to something a bit different.
I want an aux fuel tank, so I have some questions about the late 7.3L powerstroke fuel system.

On a 2003, is a fuel pump in the tank? (lift pump?)
Is there a return line to the tank or is it dead headed to the engine?

I don't have a bed, so I can't just use a bed transfer tank.
I want to have a large aux tank that tee's into the factory system with a solenoid right after the factory tank.

If the tank is in the back of a van, and the pickup is at the top, would I need an in tank pump or will the system pull from it ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No. One fuel pump, under driver seat, inside frame rail.
Yes, there is a return line at the fuel bowl, the fuel rails in the heads are dead head though.
If the pickup is at the top, I think it'd pull fine as long as you don't lose vacuum. But of course, the stock system is like that. Pulling up through the top of the tank.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM

So there isn't a return to the tank?
What about getting air in the lines when switching from one tank to the other?
I might be using converted kegs that I would need to unhook and change out, sort of like propane tanks on a forklift.

What happens when you get air in the lines on these trucks? Before the pump?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Yes there is a return.
It goes like this, fuel pickup in tank, through lines to pump, on through lines to the fuel bowl. There is where is splits. Whatever fuel the injectors wind up using is sent out of the fuel bowl to the back of the passenger head and the front of the driver head fuel rails, which then deadhead within the heads. Whatever fuel is not used goes through the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the bowl and back to the fuel tank. If there's a TON of air in the lines as to where the truck won't even run, just turn the key on engine off and the fuel pump will cycle. It will stop after 10-15 seconds (never counted) then you can just cycle the pump and do the same thing again till you're confident the air is bled out. By doing this, the air and fuel goes into the fuel bowl but since the injectors aren't using anything then it goes back through the FPR and returns to the tank.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Yes there is a return.
It goes like this, fuel pickup in tank, through lines to pump, on through lines to the fuel bowl. There is where is splits. Whatever fuel the injectors wind up using is sent out of the fuel bowl to the back of the passenger head and the front of the driver head fuel rails, which then deadhead within the heads. Whatever fuel is not used goes through the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the bowl and back to the fuel tank. If there's a TON of air in the lines as to where the truck won't even run, just turn the key on engine off and the fuel pump will cycle. It will stop after 10-15 seconds (never counted) then you can just cycle the pump and do the same thing again till you're confident the air is bled out. By doing this, the air and fuel goes into the fuel bowl but since the injectors aren't using anything then it goes back through the FPR and returns to the tank.
Ok, So would I need 2 solenoids then? One to switch the feed and one for the return?

I read about pollock 6 port valves, what are the other 2 ports used for?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Yea you would. I've thought about this before. One for feed, one for return.
Never seen those or anything. I'm sure anything you want?
I abandoned this idea just because it's a lot of plumbing, a lot of wiring and not enough gain for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 6 port valve is basically two valves together, each with two inputs and one output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.