First go at this PS stuff... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First go at this PS stuff...

Bought my first Powerstroke 2 days ago, and have been doing some serious digging on here and on the truck to get a grasp of what all is going on... only mod that I can visibly see is that the stock muffler was cut off and a piece of pipe added in.

- First thing I've noticed is that it runs great and smooth, but still lacks some "oomph" down low. The truck cranks and runs great at ~40 degree weather in the mornings. I had both batteries load tested, along with the alternator and all checked out great. The turbo really comes on around 2k rpms, but I feel that it is still lacking compared to friends trucks I've ridden in.

- Changed the fuel filter and air filter today. The fuel bowl was nice and clean. The stock airbox is still in tact, and there was enough loose dirt in the box that I went ahead and took my shop vac and cleaned it out, to hold me over until I can get the big filter conversion done.

- I had to add about a half quart of diff fluid to the front and rear diffs.

- The power steering pump is whining at me, which after checking it was a touch low on fluid. I filled it to the fill line and it is still whining, although not as loud. Guess I need to go ahead and replace the pump? Don't want to lose the brakes when it does decide to peace it

- Do the F250s come with greaseable ball joints and tie rod ends? I know that my F150 did not, so I'm trying to figure out if these have been replaced?

- Lastly, back to the first part about the power loss... on the ride home from purchase, it was about 120 miles of highway. With the cruise set on 73, the overhead display read 15.5, which I am figuring to actually be less. After going over the engine bay, there is not any soot on the firewall to show a boost leak there, BUT there is a significant amount of residue/buildup on the cold side pipe where it runs into the boot for the intercooler. Reading around on here, I'm guessing that replacing the boot there with new clamps may bring it back to life and pull the MPG's back up?

I'm open to any and all suggestions/tips to point me in a good direction. I'm loving it so far, and looking forward to many many miles of fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats on the new truck. As for a boost leak, does it have the orange boots going from the intake spider to the heads? They are the stock boots. If so, take a screw driver and see if they are loose. I would replace them depending on their condition. I bought new ones when I had to do some stuff on my truck and I couldn't believe how loose those boots were. I could have loosened the band clamps by hand. I'm running through my first tank of fuel since fixing it so i'll see if my mileage increased or not.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM

No orange, but blue... Others are black and are what feel saturated. Looks like I need to replace them for sure. Is that correct clamp connecting to the turbo?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Yes, that's the correct clamp. I thought the same thing and thought it should have been one of the t-bolt type clamps, but that is indeed the OEM clamp. It has v-channels welded inside, and sucks the two flanges up tight when you tighten the clamp.

Without telling us more about your buddies rig, it's hard to say if anything is actually wrong with your truck. If he has a chip or something in his, it will obviously run differently than yours. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM

I didn't have any soot on the firewall either, but when I crawled under the truck with a flashlight there was soot lines on the passenger side up pipe. When I took it apart it fell off the collector without even loosening the boolts, so still might have an exhaust leak.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM

its weird that putting the NAPA 6637 filter on your truck can make it feel different in low end power. After cleaning the boots off and replacing with the big filter I noticed in seconds the differnce, so if you buddies got the filter then that could help.

Or maybe his foot is heavier?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowridin03 View Post
- First thing I've noticed is that it runs great and smooth, but still lacks some "oomph" down low. The truck cranks and runs great at ~40 degree weather in the mornings. I had both batteries load tested, along with the alternator and all checked out great. The turbo really comes on around 2k rpms, but I feel that it is still lacking compared to friends trucks I've ridden in.

Without any mods, it isn't very good at the low end. Just they way they are. My turbo starts to light at about 1500RPMs, but I've got a DIY intake. You did have the batts checked individually, correct? Otherwise, you won't get a good reading.

- The power steering pump is whining at me, which after checking it was a touch low on fluid. I filled it to the fill line and it is still whining, although not as loud. Guess I need to go ahead and replace the pump? Don't want to lose the brakes when it does decide to peace it

The PS pump takes ATF, so a lot of people flush it out and use some synthetic ATF, and I did and it did help my whining.

- Do the F250s come with greaseable ball joints and tie rod ends? I know that my F150 did not, so I'm trying to figure out if these have been replaced?

Tie rods, yes. One on the pitman arm too I think. Ball joints, nope.

- Lastly, back to the first part about the power loss... on the ride home from purchase, it was about 120 miles of highway. With the cruise set on 73, the overhead display read 15.5, which I am figuring to actually be less. After going over the engine bay, there is not any soot on the firewall to show a boost leak there, BUT there is a significant amount of residue/buildup on the cold side pipe where it runs into the boot for the intercooler. Reading around on here, I'm guessing that replacing the boot there with new clamps may bring it back to life and pull the MPG's back up?

15.5 might be close. What kind of gearing is in it, do you know? I'd do the CCV mod, and clean up all the boots and intercooler good or replace the boots and that could add maybe a pound or so.

I'm open to any and all suggestions/tips to point me in a good direction. I'm loving it so far, and looking forward to many many miles of fun
replied in red
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

No orange, but blue... Others are black and are what feel saturated. Looks like I need to replace them for sure. Is that correct clamp connecting to the turbo?
I was referring to the boots that are under those boots on either side going to the heads. If they aren't orange then they've been replaced before. Climb up on the engine and look behind that blue boot and the black boot on the other side.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
Yes, that's the correct clamp. I thought the same thing and thought it should have been one of the t-bolt type clamps, but that is indeed the OEM clamp. It has v-channels welded inside, and sucks the two flanges up tight when you tighten the clamp.

Without telling us more about your buddies rig, it's hard to say if anything is actually wrong with your truck. If he has a chip or something in his, it will obviously run differently than yours. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples :-)
My apologies... his is an 03 F350. Only difference is his has the big filter mod and full 4" Magnaflow exhaust and 4.10s vs. my 3.73s. He is getting 18-20 hwy unloaded and 14 pulling an enclosed trailer with a car inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
I didn't have any soot on the firewall either, but when I crawled under the truck with a flashlight there was soot lines on the passenger side up pipe. When I took it apart it fell off the collector without even loosening the boolts, so still might have an exhaust leak.
I will certainly check that tomorrow in daylight and get back on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
its weird that putting the NAPA 6637 filter on your truck can make it feel different in low end power. After cleaning the boots off and replacing with the big filter I noticed in seconds the differnce, so if you buddies got the filter then that could help.

Or maybe his foot is heavier?
I let him drive it too, as all I had to go on was the passenger seat feel of the pants... he agreed with me. As stated above, he has a few more mods than I do with 4.10s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
replied in red
Both batteries were checked individually..., I used synthetic ATF as recommended on several threads here, still whining, but not as loud. 3.73 gears according to the tag on the rear diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms01PSD View Post
I was referring to the boots that are under those boots on either side going to the heads. If they aren't orange then they've been replaced before. Climb up on the engine and look behind that blue boot and the black boot on the other side.
Gotcha, I will check it first thing tomorrow and report back

Last edited by slowridin03; 11-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
My apologies... his is an 03 F350. Only difference is his has the big filter mod and full 4" Magnaflow exhaust and 4.10s vs. my 3.73s. He is getting 18-20 hwy unloaded and 14 pulling an enclosed trailer with a car inside.
Not calling him a liar, but there is no way he's getting 18-20mpgs with 4.10s unless he's doing 55 everywhere. Yea I got a dually, but I only get about 16 with the same mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.