Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Remote start users: tach pickup

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  belz 
#1 ·
2002 F350, 7.3.

All, I just got the viper 5901 installed yesterday, and the installer disabled the engine-running check because he said that the tach signal on these truck's is dirty. So basically, the 5901 doesn't know if the truck is running or not, so if it tries to remote start but dies, the brain will still think its running and keep drawing power. Its also stuck with a fixed crank time.

I searched around on this and found one guy who was told this buy his installer as well, but didn't follow up with a response. I have read that there is a tach wire on the 7.3 in my 2002, but is it a 'dirty' signal?

If so, I was looking at other options to get a tach signal, and I found this MSD GMR, looks like it just clamps over an injector wire.

Tach Signal GMR Pickup - 8918

I was hoping that if I needed this, then I could just clamp it to one of the wires at the valve cover gaksets, or the IDM (which i think is inside the cab, so no need to breach the firewall). Anyone have experience with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
When we did my remote start, I tied into the tach wire behind the gauge cluster. Worked great.

#4 ·
I had a Python installed in my truck last winter, and had the same problem. I had them install the tach pickup under the dash and a year later no problems, works like a champ every time. The reason that it runs and then shuts of is because it's trying to pick up the rpm through the voltage, but these trucks don't do well with that,mine worked for a few days then i had to get it fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.