Temp drops when thermostat opens? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temp drops when thermostat opens?

2002 F350 7.3, 145k. Running CAT ELC and a 203* tstat.

Its starting to get cold around here, and the truck sat overnight and all day without being started. This is the coldest its been that I've used the truck since I've owned it (only owned it for 3000 miles).

I plugged the block heater in about 2 hours before starting it this evening, and I fire it up and it starts right up (probably 20* out). After running for 3-5 minutes, I get outside and in the truck and the stock temp gauge is at full operating temperature. I thought this was weird, because its been taking forever for this thing to get up to temp since its been getting colder out - usually at least 5 minutes of idling and then 5 miles of driving.

I could hear the EBPV still closed while idling. I hopped in and started driving, and I can still hear the EBPV closed at light-to-no throttle - as soon as it gets over a little bit of throttle, it opens up, but as soon as I go back to light-to-no throttle, it closes and I can hear the hissing again - all while the temp gauge is still up to full operating temp.

After driving maybe ~5 miles (the usual time to get it warmed up fully), I look down at the temp gauge and it has moved DOWN to about 1/2 temp. It wasn't until after the engine started to reach full operating temp again that the EBPV hiss went away completely.

What's the deal, any thoughts? This is the first time I've used the block heater, so my theory is that the block heater was very effective in warming up the coolant in the block, so it showed full temp right away... then the thermostat opened, and all that coooold coolant rushed from the radiator and into the block, causing it to register less than full temp? Not sure if that makes sense though. Also, is the EBPV operation based on the EOT or the ECT (or both)? I thought it was weird that the EBPV stayed closed when the stock ECT gauge was at full temp, unless the block heater only heats the coolant in the block and not the oil in the pan, and the EBPV operates based on the EOT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EBPV is based off of EOT, and the stock temp gauge is about as useful as tits on a bull. Your EBPV is operating normally for a short in town drive. Now, if it was still kicking on during an hour long highway drive, you'd have some issues. If the truck won't warm up in the cold while driving, it might be time for a new thermostat.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did a complete coolant flush ~1000 miles ago. Put in a new dieselsite 203* tstat and billet housing. I pulled it out (to fix a leak) and verified that it is in a closed state, but it able to be held open by hand.

So, I haven't seen where the block heater actually warms the block, but am I correct in assuming that it would heat the coolant in the block, but not the oil in the pan, hence the warm dummy gauge with closed EBPV?

Does anyone else's dummy gauge go up quickly after using the block heater, but drop back down later on (I'm assuming when the thermostat opens)?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
On warm days, I've noticed that my temp gauged will be moved by the block heater. Haven't really seen it move like you're describing, but I also have no idea how old my thermostat is.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM

I had a 2002 7.3 and I had a 2004 F150 that I changed out the Gold Coolant to the Rotella ELC coolant and in both trucks I would notice that if I let them set and idle in the yard they would get up to normal operating temp within 5 minutes and then after I got down the road the temp gauge would drop until about 5 miles of driving. I never did figure out if it was the different coolant doing it or what but it never seemed to affect my truck. As far as the block heater I'm not sure what it heats up but the 7.3 would be blowing hot air out of the ducts within 3 min if let set to idle. I don't have either truck now, I just bought a 2005 Crew Cab dually, mainly wanted to avoid the pollution controls on the newer trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.