Today I got a CEL and it ran like crap, then cleared right up?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Today I got a CEL and it ran like crap, then cleared right up??

Started my truck today around 11 in the morning, cold and rainy out. Small amount of white smoke like normal when its cold. Idled fine, I let it warm up for about 3-4 minutes and drove it for like 2 minutes down the street to the gas station and left it idling when I went inside. Came out drove it around the parking lot and the CEL came on, ran really rough and vibrated alot when I hit the go pedel. I tried to crawl it back to my house and then the light when out like a minute later, I didnt shut it off or anything. It was running fine again so I drove it to work and didnt have a problem. Now that you read the story of my day, what would cause the CEL to come on for like 3 minutes, run like crap,then the light turn off and it be fine? Anyone have any ideas? I am going change my fuel filter later today also but its only like 3-4k old.
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pull the code. Could be a CPS failure in the works.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM

^^^thats kinda what I was thinking. Im looking for a local mechanic with the right scanner for the truck. Ford dealer wants 85 dollars and wont look at it till next week. I wasnt gonna take it there anyway but just wanted to know how much $$. The service dude also said if the code cleared itself then it would only be saved for three drive cycles afterwards. Kinda doubt that.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Try (Ford or International) CPS... but usually that just makes it quit. It could be the UVCH. Good luck either way.

If you go the scanner route, I highly recommend Auto Enginuity, it's a VERY useful tool.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM

thanks guys. It was running fine earlier, today so hopfully I dont have any problems until I get it on a scanner. I'm not throwing any parts at it until then. I'll have to read up on that cps crap to and see what sensor is the better of the two evils to throw in. If it turns out the be the UVCH, does the 50cent mod usually fix that or am I thinking about something else
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshalala View Post
thanks guys. It was running fine earlier, today so hopfully I dont have any problems until I get it on a scanner. I'm not throwing any parts at it until then. I'll have to read up on that cps crap to and see what sensor is the better of the two evils to throw in. If it turns out the be the UVCH, does the 50cent mod usually fix that or am I thinking about something else
As long as the pins are not burnt it should fix it. Until it happens again i would hold off until you can get it scanned, but if it does happen again I would seriously think about doing it. IIRC it's usually an IDM code, like 1316 or something like that.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

So its doing it sign again now. On and off idling terrible then smoothing out and the light goes off. Then it turns back on and doing it again. Hopefully I can drive it back home.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshalala View Post
So its doing it sign again now. On and off idling terrible then smoothing out and the light goes off. Then it turns back on and doing it again. Hopefully I can drive it back home.

Is it idling rough or missing/loping?

You could try unplugging the ICP and see if that clears it up.. also check the plug/wires for oil.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Seemed like it was missing, I'm dropping it off to my mechanic tomorrow and hopefully he can read the codes. it ran like crap for like five minutes and when I was driving it warmed up and it ran fine all the way home...could it being so cold cause this? I'll know more when I get the codes

Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Ok mechanic just called me and said it had a P1316 code. Something to do with the idm.
Any thoughts on what I should do first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.