powerstroke advise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
powerstroke advise

so im looking at a 2000 7.3 4x4 f250 and im wondering what kind of trucks these guys are and how well they hold up compared to the other. i do have a 05 cummins right now and im trying to get some insight on the differences and what i could expect as far as power difference and reliability.. thanks for the input guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Well, I have no experience with the cummins, but I had an 05 Hemi 2500 and hated it. Constantly was fixing front end crap, blew the tranny at 68k, master cylinder at 75k, and chewed through tires pretty quick, all while getting 10-12mpg.

I hated it, and I will never own another dodge. (owned 3, btw)

That said, I love my Ford, the 7.3L is a very strong engine, easy to work on, and will last forever if it's been properly maintained. I get a consistent 16-18+mpg, and it pulls mike nothing is there. Love it.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input. i love the engine never had an issue with it but as far as the front end problems new ball joints are deff in my near future but the tires dont seem to be an issue too bad as of yet. the power stroke runs strong but comparing it to my standard while it being a auto is like comparing apples to oranges in my book.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well...... I work with Cummins engines every day, and there is a reason why I drive a SD. I'm not bashing your truck by any means but I've read a good saying on here before. "Dodge trucks - worlds most expensive Cummins engine crates"

My brother had an 04 5.9. He loved it for a short period. He fought the "death wobble" for months. Replaced two track bars, a set of ball joints, then it caught fire in the dash and burned to the ground on the side of the highway.

These trucks are heavy and hard on front end parts and I'm talking about all of the big 3. I'm gathering parts to do my ball joints with just 70k on the clock.

The 7.3 will get close, but not the same mileage as a 5.9. And my personal opinion I can't stand the drone from an inline 6 under a load. Makes my ears hurt. The 7.3 on the other hand sounds like an animal and my window is normally cracked so I can hear it.

My wifes biggest complaint about our truck is it's cold weather reactions. The 7.3 sounds like it's about to launch internals until it gets up to temp. She knows to plug it in on the cold days and baby it until it gets warm which is an inconvenience to her. I on the other hand have to problem with it. Just the nature of the beast.

I can go into more detail as other friends have owned dodge trucks. Just not impressed with them.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Thought of this after I hit "post reply"

A big thing Cummins has going for them is you can make big power without touching the bottom end. And with fairly simple upgrades such as turbo, injection pump and injectors you can get over 5-600 hp. You'll be looking at huge money on a 7.3 to get these numbers and reliablility will be an issue.

It really just depends on what you want to do with your truck. The 7.3 pulls like a freight train. I pull 7k + on a regular basis. Get to 75 on the highway, hit cruise and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey man idc at all for bashing im here askin for opinion to get everyones thoughts on it i know its a stroker forum so i can expect it but i do like to have both sides of the fight. i really dont like the dodge truck but i love the cummins. if i had the money to swap em out i would in a heart beat but the power stroke is my next best choice in this lol..thanks for the input
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfever090 View Post
Thought of this after I hit "post reply"

A big thing Cummins has going for them is you can make big power without touching the bottom end. And with fairly simple upgrades such as turbo, injection pump and injectors you can get over 5-600 hp. You'll be looking at huge money on a 7.3 to get these numbers and reliablility will be an issue.

It really just depends on what you want to do with your truck. The 7.3 pulls like a freight train. I pull 7k + on a regular basis. Get to 75 on the highway, hit cruise and enjoy the ride.
Is yours auto or manual? I was told not to pull in o/d w/ my auto.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

I loved my 2000 but I came from a newer vehicle also and I didnt enjoy that so much, your driving a 5.9 and so far you dont seem to have a problem the 5.9 is going to be better than the 7.3 in the power and mileage department, they both have not so good transmissions, fords ride way better I mean pros and cons I would have given the cummins a chance but I hate the ride in them and dodge products suck anyway
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah i hate the way it rides like a brick and im lookin at a carli 2.0 but thats deff alot of money for upgrades that serve such a small purpose as ride improvement.. choices choices lol
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhf40 View Post
hey man idc at all for bashing im here askin for opinion to get everyones thoughts on it i know its a stroker forum so i can expect it but i do like to have both sides of the fight. i really dont like the dodge truck but i love the cummins. if i had the money to swap em out i would in a heart beat but the power stroke is my next best choice in this lol..thanks for the input
My original post says that I'm not bashing. Read farther and I actually praise the Cummins engine and give a personal example of why I don't care for the Dodge brand of truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse51599 View Post
Is yours auto or manual? I was told not to pull in o/d w/ my auto.
Mine's an auto. I run in OD on the highway and turn the OD off if I'm loaded heavy and running on state roads around 60. In fact I pulled 18K running 75. I used my foot to minimize downshifting on hills. The truck will let you know if it doesn't want to be in OD and will shift frequently. If you have a trans temp gauge you'll have an even better idea on what the trans likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhf40 View Post
yeah i hate the way it rides like a brick and im lookin at a carli 2.0 but thats deff alot of money for upgrades that serve such a small purpose as ride improvement.. choices choices lol
It really is suprising how the ride quality is on a truck of this size. I will say a GM rides the best IMO. But for a solid axle leaf sprung truck, the F-series (diesel) rides pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.