Iron Bull Questions/Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Iron Bull Questions/Problems

So I finally pulled the trigger on a base model Iron Bull for my 02 CCSB. It was when I pulled my stock bumper off that I started noticing that this wasn't going to be a quick bolt on and go process like I thought.

1. You have to remove the tow hooks and there was no hardware to replace the 3 bolts so I was forced to try and round up 6 short grade 8 bolts to replace them.

2. Using the stock hardware to mount the bumper is a Major PITA, however I did get the bolts started. This brings up my next concern, 4 bolts hold this entire bumper/winch combo on. I'm a little concerned about side pulling with a 12K winch.

3. Both inside light buckets hit the mounting brackets for the stock bumper, so one of the other will have to be trimmed.

4. (The big concern) I didn't notice until I got it bolted on that the Spring Hanger brace is hanging down below the bumper. Looked around on the web and no one else's is so I'm assuming everyone cuts there's off? Seems to me that this is providing a major support point for the frame and suspension.

Thoughts and Advise would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Iron Bull Questions/Problems-img-20111023-00069.jpg   Iron Bull Questions/Problems-img-20111023-00071.jpg   Iron Bull Questions/Problems-img-20111023-00072.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

I believe you are referring to the crash bar. Pretty sure that's only there to keep you from taking off someone's head in a Miata, if you crash into them.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Yup I ran without one for years when my truck was big. Its stock so its back on. But its not needed.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
IMO the Iron bull bumpers are not made to the same quality that the others are like road armor or fab fours.....
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
IMO the Iron bull bumpers are not made to the same quality that the others are like road armor or fab fours.....
Opinion noted, however, it looks to me like they will have the same problems that I've listed above at least the crash bar anyway.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
Yup I ran without one for years when my truck was big. Its stock so its back on. But its not needed.
If you unbolt it there is still an angle bracket hanging down that looks terrible. So did you cut that off?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Don't know about the issues you are having, other than the crash bar. But I replaced my shackles with a 2" lift kit that removed my crash bar and bracket anyway.

My road armor came with 8 bolts to hold the new bumper on. The only issue I had was holding the bumper in place while I put the bolts in (didn't have a helper at the time).

As for the 'light buckets', mine had plenty of clearance.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
Road Armor is not much better. I just helped a buddy install one on his 05 F350 and he has the same problems as the OP even though they are a different company. Same bracket hanging down, same driving light bucket hitting the frame and same two bolt mounting system. You would think that if you are gonna build it from scratch you can at least use all four bolts to mount the bumper. After all its supposed to be a heavy duty off road bumper yet they use 4 bolts like the lightweight stock bumper. Wonderful design.Those Road Armor bumpers are s**t. The brackets are flimsy. 3/16 steel. What a fing joke. If I paid that kind of money they are asking the center section should be 1/4 inch steel and maybe the outside corners 3/16 but even then make it 1/4 inch. You are charging enough for the bumpers. I wouldn't buy any of those bumpers now after seeing the design and mounting points ( even though I drooled over them for a long long time) and if you gave it to me I wouldn't put it on my truck. i would give up the two inner driving light set up to have a better mounting bolt set up. BTW those PIAA driving lights that all these trucks seem to come with are worthless.

Last edited by Rob454; 10-24-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Well once I pulled the bumper up tight the light bucket problem wasn't as bad as I thought. I did have to trim about a 1/4" off of one side to get it to fit properly. I'm going to take the crash bar and angle bracket off only because it looks terrible. However, IMO the 4 bolts, or even the 8 if a different brand bumper uses the entire mounting horn, is not enough to stabilize the sides of the bumper. I can just see if you hit something small it would have enough leverage to tweak the frame out on the end and send the bumper into your fenders. That being said, I am planning on building some brackets to bolt onto each side of the bumper in 2 different places and run it back to the frame rails.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM

I am waiting on a winch ready bumper.Hope it bolts up a little better.The crash bar on my excursion made its way out with my lift kit too.Took it of and said forget about it.Ill let everybody know how it goes when I get it.Anxiously waiting for it so my truck doesn't look so bad with a wrecked front end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.