650 rwhp? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
650 rwhp?

Alright so I gotta pretty basic idea of what I wanna do but not sure what all it will take. I gotta 02 7.3l with pmrs so my first step is to by a "donor" motor. I'm going to rebuild that with some high end internals, balance everything port and polish. Thinkin maybe crower or carillo rods. Arp studs(internals aren't my expertise). But basically a biult base then some 238+ cc hybrids, 38r, regulated return, airdog, hpop upgraded, bts tranny, custom tuning.I know I am missing a bunch but that is why I posted. Any and all advice, words of wisdom is apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Emergency Services

Is your goal 650? If so 238s won't get you anywhere close. Same with a drop in charger.

Give Jake Enos at Irate Diesel Performance a call...he can set you up with literally everything you need....injectors, t4 turbo and mount, rods, pistons, studs, springs, he has a full fuel system thats better then the airdog...he is the man to talk to. I will forewarn you though, 600+ hp is very costly in the 7.3 world...be prepared to throw down some change, I would also recommend not cutting corners because at that power level things go boom easily and you will spend a lot more in the long run.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Similar thread going on right now: The 600.40hp build thread - PowerStrokeNation

238's and 38R are a great combo for 450'ish RWHP. Going need a lot more fuel and air volume for 600.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You'll need something like this if you want a super solid motor. And i know Jason had more than $14k in it. Add another $3-5k easy for injectors and turbo, and you'll have a super running truck.

For Sale: HRT Built Street/Race engine - PowerStrokeNation

But thats also pretty much as far as you can go with a 7.3 motor internally.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

that was one of my concerns, the 38r didnt seem big enough to handle much. who all makes twins that will fit? ats? aurora? turbonetics? another question i have is when running this much power, is 4" exhaust too small?

and thank you both for the help and info.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailreflex View Post
that was one of my concerns, the 38r didnt seem big enough to handle much. who all makes twins that will fit? ats? aurora? turbonetics? another question i have is when running this much power, is 4" exhaust too small?

and thank you both for the help and info.
You can have good power with a single that is properly matched to your injectors, a compound set up is a whole lot of work for these rigs and is a whole lot more.

Irate Diesel performance ?Power Stroke Performance

Give Jake a call, he can set you up with a turbo and mounting kit for a whole lot cheaper then anyone, mainly because he is the only one who makes a T4 mounting solution for these trucks. Tell him Byron sent you, and ask about what you will need. Jake is a great guy to deal with, might want to ask him about Chris' truck, he is putting down 600hp with a reliable daily driver, that is a blast to drive....If you say Byron and Chris, he will know who you're talking about.

I am just trying to help you get this done the right way, not to mention Jakes turbo mounting set up is cheaper than any other mount set up you can get, but is top notch quality.

Byron
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Emergency Services

Here is a good read,

At what horspower do you have to worry about this?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaysKSFirefighter View Post
thanks alot for the link, alot of my questions answered in 2 pages. will definately be saving it. but, on another note not to sound dumb but are the internals of the engine hard to DIY or should i find a good shop to do the work?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Depends on your knowledge..

Anyway Jake is the man to call for sure, hes gonna tell you the truth and knows what it takes to do what, awesome guy for sure.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Emergency Services

Building an engine is not hard if you take your time and do it right...I would try to find a local machine shop and talk to them, if it were me, I would have the rotating assembly balanced and blueprinted and have them assemble the bottom end, from there you can put the studs, heads, injectors, etc in. It just depends on your comfort level with working on these...honestly none of the process is overly complex, but there is a lot that can go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.