Semi rigs in Michigan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Semi rigs in Michigan

Ok Im from Md and just took a road trip out to Michigan. I was suprised to see all the semi's running with 11-12 axles under them. What are those guys hauling out there to need that many axles? Or what is the reason for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Michigan has really stupid weight laws and weight distribution laws. There can only be so much weight per axles and to maximize payload the axles must be spread the length of the truck or as close as possible. I am not 100% on this and I am open to other theories.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM

I have relatives out there and go to Michigan most every summer. Seeing that it is a very flat state (no mountains) with few large rivers (few bridges), their roads are capable of handling much heavier trucks.

Most states have a weight limit of 80,000 pounds for big rigs, but Michigan allows something like 170,000 pounds - provided you have enough axles to properly spread out the weight. I live in VA and drive an 18-wheeler (five axles), but the guys in Michigan have eleven axles and 42 wheels!! I'd hate to pay their fare at a toll booth, though.

In Ohio, they allow triple 28-foot trailers and double 48-foot trailers -- but only on the Ohio Turnpike. Them is some loooonnnggg trucks!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

I've heard those steel haulers in Mich. haul 3 or 4 coils at a time. Heavy.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 PM

they have that many axle to make shore that their axles wheights are always good no matter how the truck is loaded. the truck i drive has 9 axles each axle on my truck is good for 20.000lbs but im only good for a max of 140.000lbs but if you calculate axle weights im good for 180.000lbs my company does this so that axle weights are always good.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin7.3 View Post
I've heard those steel haulers in Mich. haul 3 or 4 coils at a time. Heavy.
some coils are so heavy that we can only carry one at a time
Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 AM

170,000 lbs is a huge amount of weight. Not only would I like to not have to pay there tolls but also try to stop in a hurry. I know they may have 10 breaking axles but the breaks will only stop as long as the tires hold traction. I also did see on the ohio turn pike the triple trailers. Those are some masive trucks.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf. View Post
they have that many axle to make shore that their axles wheights are always good no matter how the truck is loaded. the truck i drive has 9 axles each axle on my truck is good for 20.000lbs but im only good for a max of 140.000lbs but if you calculate axle weights im good for 180.000lbs my company does this so that axle weights are always good.
Sounds better then my theory.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Here in Michigan we are the "motor city capital" of the world, Yet we have the absolute ****tiest roads in the world! So the trucks need that many axles to make sure they can make it from one end of the state to the other (even when half their tires blow out!)

When you cross into Ohio on I-75 you notice a day and night difference in road quality. That's why in Michigan we say we have 2 season, Winter and road construction!

Side note, those triple trailers on Ohio's Turnpikes are crazy!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I do like your left turn arrow after thru-traffic has gone, but the U-turn to make a left has got to go. lol It's been several years since I've visited, but isn't there also some unique flashing traffic signals too? It's like visiting a foreign country. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.