Overhead computer. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overhead computer.

I pulled out my over head computer to take it apart and fix it. In the process I lost one of the black transistors/resistors with the numbers 680 or 620 on it. The one I lost was the second closet to the plug where you plug it in.

Does anybody know where I can order or get these small black pieces from? Ive checked Rat Shack and no luck. I don't want to send it in to the place on eBay because I know how to fix it myself. I just don't know of anywhere I can get these small black pieces. Ideas?

Thanks Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Check out Fry's.
Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

Check the locator tab - There are some stores in TX, I just don't if any are close to Midland. Search for Surface Mount Resistors. May have to call them to find out if they have your specific value if you can't find it online.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM

My radio shack had them. They were the inline kind, but worked just fine. I just bent the wire aroun. I don't remember if I got the 62 or 68 ohm ones, but they only had one size, so thats what I got.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

I ordered some from amazon and I'll have them next week. Just have to solder them in and I'll be good. Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM

mine is out also and want to fix it. what goes wrong with thesee things?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM

There are small resistors on the circuit board that work loose. In order to fix them you have to solder them back on.
First pull out the entire overhead shell. You can do this by sticking your fingers under it and prying it out. Then there is a black inner shell. At the bottom closest to the windshield there is the module & computer. Unscrew the 3 screws holding them in. You'll need an odd little tool to unscrew these, not sure what it's called. Then once you have this, on the back there is some foam padding. You can feel a bump in the middle of it where a screw is holding the circuit board to the black shell. Tear away the foam & unscrew this screw. Once you have the circuit board out you will look behind the screen and there will be little black flat resistors labeled 680 or 620. Some of these will be loose or fallen off. From here use a soldering pencil and solder them back on. If you don't have a soldering pencil you'll need to get once becaus a soldering gun will be to hot and difficult to get in there. You can get them at radio shack for around 8 bucks. Also get some soldering wire. Not the big thick stuff but some smaller wire because it will be eaiser to work with. Then just solder the resistor that are loose back on and that's it! If you're missing resistors and they're not in there or have fallen out in the process of removing everything you can get them at amazon.com. Type in 680 or 620 surface mounting resistors and they're $1 for the cheapest ones. Then just put everything back together and it should be working!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM

ok thanks man been wondering about this. so its not my lcd screen gone bad its just that you think?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM

For sure
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Just be careful when you're taking it apart, so that if any of the resistors happen to have come completely detached you won't drop it & lose it. I'm sure you know how a very small object can magically disappear into your floorboard!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM

haha i have lost a bunch of things that fell right in front of me so i know all about that haha thanks man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.