Bidding on a 7.3 tomorrow. Few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bidding on a 7.3 tomorrow. Few questions

Hello ORG!

I have been on the hunt for a 7.3 Ext Cab Lariat short bed 4x4 for some time now and finally found "the one" I hope.

After test driving I did notice a few things.

1. The transmission shifted very similiar to a 6.0 torque shift, quick and firm. Is this normal? The 3rd - 4th gear change is kind of violent or much firmer. I can almost think that it is a transmission mount that is broken.

2. Previous owner a had a pretty serious veggie system setup on it. Big tank in the bed, lots of hoses and filters under the hood. The stealership has no information on it. Is this potentially going to be a bad thing?

3. The windows rolled down very slow, but shot up very fast. Strange...

4. Truck does have an edge with attitude but was not hooked up apparently because it would not come on during test drive.

5. Truck has brand new tires, and brakes it seems. Engine sounded excellent. No other mods than a stereo.

6. The AC/HEAT system was hot and cold but the vents for the dash would not get air. Is this an easy fix?

Please post anything information. These are specific questions that I could not find much when searching.

Thanks

2001 Used Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat with Off Road Pkg & 4WD at Atlanta Auto Brokers Serving Marietta, GA, IID 7737576

This is the truck, however I am not buying at their price I am buying it through OVE.com its a dealer's website. Much much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Doesn't sound too bad. What are the miles on it? What is he asking?

Definitely want to ditch the edge on there if you're gonna own it.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3'00 View Post
Doesn't sound too bad. What are the miles on it? What is he asking?

Definitely want to ditch the edge on there if you're gonna own it.
158k.

Dealership is asking like 14999.

I'll probably own it for about 11 after sales tax.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM

I'd go for around 10k. 14999 is pretty high.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3'00 View Post
I'd go for around 10k. 14999 is pretty high.
11k is pretty fair IMO, with the veggie system. I didn't much time to do much research and the brand spankin new BFG ATs on it.

14999 honestly its pretty standard here in GA. There's guys wanting 20k for theirs here. Pretty nuts.

I'm more concerned about the issues mentioned that I noticed. I can fix most anything, I was hoping this were common issues and easily fixable with the 7.3s.

Truck is a 2001 for reference, no wrecks, perfect title.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitanicle99 View Post
Hello ORG!

I have been on the hunt for a 7.3 Ext Cab Lariat short bed 4x4 for some time now and finally found "the one" I hope.

1. The transmission shifted very similiar to a 6.0 torque shift, quick and firm. Is this normal? The 3rd - 4th gear change is kind of violent or much firmer. I can almost think that it is a transmission mount that is broken.

2. Previous owner a had a pretty serious veggie system setup on it. Big tank in the bed, lots of hoses and filters under the hood. The stealership has no information on it. Is this potentially going to be a bad thing?

4. Truck does have an edge with attitude but was not hooked up apparently because it would not come on during test drive.

5. Truck has brand new tires, and brakes it seems. Engine sounded excellent. No other mods than a stereo.

6. The AC/HEAT system was hot and cold but the vents for the dash would not get air. Is this an easy fix?
1. Quick and firm sounds like it has a shift kit/upgraded tranny.
2. Veggistroke isn't a bad thing.
3. My windows did the same thing when the motors were going out. Cheap and easy replacement. Wouldn't hurt if you lubed the tracks now though.
6. It has a vacuum leak or a bad vacuum pump... very common.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM

The dash vents not working as stated is a vacuum leak or a fried vacuum pump. If it's the pump, you can pick one up on ebay for $60 shipped and it's a quick fix.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitanicle99 View Post
Hello ORG!

Please post anything information. These are specific questions that I could not find much when searching.

Thanks

2001 Used Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat with Off Road Pkg & 4WD at Atlanta Auto Brokers Serving Marietta, GA, IID 7737576

This is the truck, however I am not buying at their price I am buying it through OVE.com its a dealer's website. Much much cheaper.
Check for a name on the veggie system. Someone should be able to identify it by pictures. I assume it's NOT a Vegistoke because you mention there is a lot of lines and filters under the hood. 95% of people who look under the hood of a Vegistroked 7.3 will not notice it's there. Just 2 added cooling lines and 2 extra fuel lines, that are not even ran across the top of the motor. I would guess it's a Grease Car system. They have more advertisements, including a few TV shows. (Xtreme 4x4 used one of their kits) It could be a great setup, but if it's a home fabbed setup and you have a problem with it you may spend a lot of time/money tracing down a simple problem. If it's a big name company (Vegistoke, Grease Car, Frybrid) you shouldn't have much trouble getting help with it. Even if it's not, you should be able to get general things to check on here, and be able to figure it out.

As said above, if the vacuum pump or lines are bad heat/air only will comes out the defrost vents.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
1. Quick and firm sounds like it has a shift kit/upgraded tranny.
2. Veggistroke isn't a bad thing.
3. My windows did the same thing when the motors were going out. Cheap and easy replacement. Wouldn't hurt if you lubed the tracks now though.
6. It has a vacuum leak or a bad vacuum pump... very common.
Very happy to hear all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDog View Post
The dash vents not working as stated is a vacuum leak or a fried vacuum pump. If it's the pump, you can pick one up on ebay for $60 shipped and it's a quick fix.
Again, this part seems easy. I can fix anything that I have a guide to.

Any ideas on the 3rd to 4th tranny shift?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
Check for a name on the veggie system. Someone should be able to identify it by pictures. I assume it's NOT a Vegistoke because you mention there is a lot of lines and filters under the hood. 95% of people who look under the hood of a Vegistroked 7.3 will not notice it's there. Just 2 added cooling lines and 2 extra fuel lines, that are not even ran across the top of the motor. I would guess it's a Grease Car system. They have more advertisements, including a few TV shows. (Xtreme 4x4 used one of their kits) It could be a great setup, but if it's a home fabbed setup and you have a problem with it you may spend a lot of time/money tracing down a simple problem. If it's a big name company (Vegistoke, Grease Car, Frybrid) you shouldn't have much trouble getting help with it. Even if it's not, you should be able to get general things to check on here, and be able to figure it out.

As said above, if the vacuum pump or lines are bad heat/air only will comes out the defrost vents.
Yeah I definitely noticed it, obviously the tank in the bed plus the veggie badges that were on the side. I noticed multiple hoses, one 1.25" hose running over the top. I'll post some pictures if I win it.

Out of curiosity, can I use that for a separate tank if I wanted to... Like using that as a secondary diesel tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.