Newb Questions Yes I searched - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb Questions Yes I searched

I have searched and I am just a little confused still.

I am wanting to put a Chip into my 02 7.3 However, when I reading I am seeing a lot about custom tunes. The main thing I am looking for is increased fuel milage. I won't be pulling more than 10,000 so I am not really in need of much extra power. When I spoke to DP Tuner by phone (really nice btw) they said while they have a fuel economy setting it may or may not add better fuel milage when using that tune. Everyone I know here in town runs DP Tuner but most are hauling all the time. The max I will ever pull is a small to mid size skid loader (hasn't happend yet). Normally I have my 4 wheeler loaded in the back as I am always hunting. So my question is, what brand of chip is worth looking at in my case if I am not needing custom tunes, yet I don't want to harm my transmission?

Furthermore, I am looking to put a leveling kit on the front of my truck yet all I am finding are block kits. Does anyone make a legitimate leveling kit without blocks? 2-3inches? BDS?

Newb i know. If this were a 95 wrangler I wouldn't need guidance. Still new to diesel. All help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any brand of well known custom tuners (PHP, DP, etc) will be able to get you great tunes. And they should increase fuel mileage... if you can keep your foot out of it.

And yes, there are leveling kits out there with leaves. I have a single add a leaf up front, but don't know who makes it, it was on when I bought it. My buddy added a mini spring pack to his truck, it lifted the front 2-3".
Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

DP 80 eco tune is one of the best tunes out there for mpg, but you need to drive it right. Don't use the econo for heavy towing, get one of his tow tunes. Then for fun you gotta have his 120 race. But be sure to do the supporting mods first. Intake, exhaust/muffler, valvebody, gauges. Gauges should be the very first thing you do so you have a baseline and can see how all other mods affect your truck.

As for a leveling kit, there are right ways and wrong ways to do it. Don't use blocks, and you will need either a relocation bracted or an adjustable trac bar. Many will say you don't need it, but without it you are setting you axle 3/4" off center. I am going to do both the adjustable bar and relocation bracket so I can get it exactly where I want it. Look up member CaryT and tell him I sent you. He seels the set up I am going to use and he knows his stuff and won't sell you crap.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
DP 80 eco tune is one of the best tunes out there for mpg, but you need to drive it right. Don't use the econo for heavy towing, get one of his tow tunes. Then for fun you gotta have his 120 race. But be sure to do the supporting mods first. Intake, exhaust/muffler, valvebody, gauges. Gauges should be the very first thing you do so you have a baseline and can see how all other mods affect your truck.

As for a leveling kit, there are right ways and wrong ways to do it. Don't use blocks, and you will need either a relocation bracted or an adjustable trac bar. Many will say you don't need it, but without it you are setting you axle 3/4" off center. I am going to do both the adjustable bar and relocation bracket so I can get it exactly where I want it. Look up member CaryT and tell him I sent you. He seels the set up I am going to use and he knows his stuff and won't sell you crap.
And also one of the best for creating the see through block mod.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It will take forever to get your money back out of a chip if you are doing it for economy alone. I've never seen more than a mpg better on any of my tuned trucks vs stock.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I gained 5mpg on the highway with 80 economy DP tune
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my vote: Tony Wildman Performance Chips
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
LOL couldnt agree more with you bruce... im sure by now he has changed that tune, it had more timing then anything.. that being said.. bills tunes(PHP) dont have any recorded 'windows' that i know of..
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
You obviously have a beef with Jody, this isn't the first time that I have read one of your threads where you most remarks like this. It doesn't help the OP one bit. So grow up, you got issues with Jody than explain why, otherwise don't say anything as all you are doing is wasting server space. You can take all the top custom tuners and everyone will have customers who blame their tunes for a failure. Sometimes they may be right, but I have seen plenty where it wasn't the tune, but something else the user did or didn't do that caused the problem. Instead of admiting it, they point the finger at the tuner. Nobody has " The Best " tunes, it is all about opinions. I know what has worked and what hasn't worked for me. But you don't see me trashing those that didn't work out.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Icon makes a leveling kit.

You could probably save a few bucks from buying it through a vendor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.