f-250 with 280k - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to White7.3stroker
f-250 with 280k

im looking at a buddys truck im thinking of buying it is a 7.3 not sure on the year tho its either a 2000 or 2001 hoping for 2000 because of pmr's but not sure yet but he wants pay off and its like 4200 or so but it needs a transmission so im kind of wondering if its worth that or not looks pretty clean but havent seen the truck up close yet its burgundy and gray ext cab long bed and im pretty sure its xlt..the 280k is the only thing that really bothers me but just looking for some input on it thanks im gonna try and post the pic i have
Attached Thumbnails
f-250 with 280k-imagejpeg952.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 AM

if compression is good then it shoudl be a good truck. check the turbo and intake for dusting. find the actual year, and get a BTS and be doen with transmissions!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM

yea im planing on going to look at it sunday and look at it better but as far as i know it hasnt ever been chipped or anything is there any good way to be able to tell about good compression without doing a compression test i dont know much about that kind of thing but i do have 2 buddys that have 7.3 one has 500k with no major probems and a buddy that had a 02 with 300k...one of the good things i see about it is that if i do the tranny i know its been done and dont have to worry about it as much as buying with 280k and the tranny working and not know when its gonna fall out
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM

take off the intake, check the intake tube for dust, and look at the turbo's compressor fins for chips. also, when the motor is cold, take off the oil cap place it on the fill tube upside down, and see if it flips off or just kida vibrates off. thats all you can do without getting an actual compression test.

if you dont replace the tranny with a BTS, at least upgrade the TQC and upgrade the cooler.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM

okay thanks i will have to check that out and i have a diesel shop down the road from me Pearson diesel shop that i can get that tranny built for 2200 and have billet tqc and racing clutches..my buddy just got his done by them and loves it..it the truck in my signature that on the trailer lol
Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM

nice looking truck
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM

thanks man i love my buddys truck i been trying to get him to sell it to me for 2 years lol i guess i should have bought it instead of showing it to him but its all good just not a all white fan but they look sweet fixed up
Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnchevy1500 View Post
okay thanks i will have to check that out and i have a diesel shop down the road from me Pearson diesel shop that i can get that tranny built for 2200 and have billet tqc and racing clutches..my buddy just got his done by them and loves it..it the truck in my signature that on the trailer lol
There are cheaper options than buying a BTS. There was a local truck that I almost bought that was a turbo away from being a 550+ RWHP truck. His trans was from a local place and cost him $2,500, but came with a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The shop knew the intended goals of the truck, and the warranty wouldn't be void because of mods. 2 years after the rebuild, the trans case split, which I can't imagine being any fault of the shop.

With that being said, a BTS is a BTS. I'm pretty sure no one builds a stronger 4r100.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM

what is a round about price for a bts transmission?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnchevy1500 View Post
what is a round about price for a bts transmission?
Depends on options (tranny cooler and such), and if you ship or go to the shop, but expect to spend $4-5K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.