F250 SD 6-speed double clutch/ throttle blip good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 SD 6-speed double clutch/ throttle blip good idea?

Ive noticed its hard to smothly change gears between 1&2n and sometimes 2&3rd. I also noticed that when shifting between 1&2 and 2&3 the gears seem to "bite". They dont gind, but if you not paying close attention you really cant hear it, but you can feel it in the shifter. So unless i push the clutch in and hold it for 2-3 seconds it usualy doenst bite? Am I trying to go through the gers too fast? Its hard to speed shift and when I want to speed shift and double clutch & throttle blip it keeps the boost up and doesnt seem to bite making it easier to pull out in front of people lol. Should i continue double clutching with throttle blips, double clutch without touching the throttle, or just take my time between gears? Thanks gus!(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Sounds like worn syncros or bent shift fork to me. If i try to shift mine fast as if racing sometimes ill get hesitation, but not much else. I know mine will need a light rebuild.in the next year or two.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

sounds like a fluid issue or bad synchro's. Try a good quality synthetic atf in the box first. When these transmissions are fresh they speed shift almost perfect. They are very east to work on on the bench. Good luck
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle H Ranch View Post
sounds like a fluid issue or bad synchro's. Try a good quality synthetic atf in the box first. When these transmissions are fresh they speed shift almost perfect. They are very east to work on on the bench. Good luck
Ill have the tranny fluid flushed when i take it to my mechanic when he does my turbo pedestal o-rigs. I hope that this helps, a bent clutch fork and bad syncroids sound like it could be causing the problem. I really dont want to drop the tranny yet. Its never hard to get the tranny out, only a pain to get in. Haha.

Well in the meantime how should I shift? What techniques would work the best?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I don't recomend syntetic. I switched to synthetic in my trans then 4th gear would grind, BAD. Switched it out for dino ATF and all was good again. ZF recomeds and designed it to run on dyno ATF, so thats what I run.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Until you find the problem, shift it however it works best for you. I drive mine just like a car. But once rolling I can shift mine all the way up and down without the clutch if I want. I hope for you that it is a case of wrong fluid.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle H Ranch View Post
Until you find the problem, shift it however it works best for you. I drive mine just like a car. But once rolling I can shift mine all the way up and down without the clutch if I want. I hope for you that it is a case of wrong fluid.
I read somewhere that with the super duties it helps to press the clutch in and release it in neutral without pressing the gas, then press the clutch in again and go into gear. Seemed to go into every gear like butter when I did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
I don't recomend syntetic. I switched to synthetic in my trans then 4th gear would grind, BAD. Switched it out for dino ATF and all was good again. ZF recomeds and designed it to run on dyno ATF, so thats what I run.
I'll buy some dyno ATF fluid, I've noticed that with almost every transmission Standard ATF works best. How many quarts does the trans hold?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I tried to double clutch my truck and it shifted like crap. Regular synronized shifting (like a car) should work best if your trans is working fine. The zf-6 holds 5.8 quarts of regular mercron ATF. The zf-5 calls for synthetic though

Last edited by late_99_PSD; 10-07-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
every zf6 i've driven no problems with shifting smoothly..definitely change the fluid first then go from there, i agree.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 PM

yea my tranny does the same thing except the syncros are shot. I just double clutch it from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd and she shifts real smooth. When its under a load the tranny will talk back a little, but you just have to stand your ground and make it go into the gear

Im ganna try changing the fluid to see if it helps a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.