Fuel filter and other maintenance- - first post - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel filter and other maintenance- - first post

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a diesel. Just bought a 2002 7.3L Excursion about 4 months ago. 140k miles. I love the truck. but I have a lot of questions about maintenance since its my first diesel.

Took it to dealer for oil change and he said I needed to change my fuel filter, air filter, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid. Not sure if he was just trying to get me to empty my wallet or if I really needed all that. about $500 worth of stuff and that doesnt include the free oil change. What do ya'll think?

Is $100 for fuel filter change reasonable? And is the Ford brand really the only brand I can use? He said any other brand will let water in and destroy my EGR.

Tranny fluid he was charging $200. Is that right? Sure didn't seem like it.

I'm pretty mechanical so i dont mind doing what I can myself.

Thanks for any input. I'm liking the forum so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You can buy the motorcraft fuel filters for $30-40 at any auto parts store. It's really easy to change and not worth paying someone $100 to do in my opinion...

As far as the tranny fluid... It's not too hard either. Just pull the pan and change the filter and refill the tranny. Do not over fill... This is pretty messy, but I wouldn't pay $200 for someone to do that either...

Also, for the oil change... I ALWAYS use the Lucas oil stabilizer. You can buy it by the gallon for pretty cheap and just measure how much you need per oil change. The synthetic stuff is added in there from the factory.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

RE: Lucas "oil stabilizer": They Call it "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Those guys know what they are talking about.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM

DO NOT USE AN OIL ADDITIVE. Let me get a link about the HEUI system.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gage View Post
Took it to dealer for oil change and he said I needed to change my fuel filter, air filter, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid. Not sure if he was just trying to get me to empty my wallet or if I really needed all that. about $500 worth of stuff and that doesnt include the free oil change. What do ya'll think?

Fuel filter, every 15k. Also drain the water out of the separator which is the yellow handle on the back of it. Air filter, if it needs it change it. The stock air boxes are notorious for breaking and leaking dust in. A DIY intake is very healthy for your truck. Trans fluid, possibly. Check it. Should be pink, and smell almost sweet. Power steering is ATF also, should be same. Probably could use a change. As well as a brake fluid flush. You'd be amazed at what came out of my brake lines. I would guess that's close to what it might cost. I figured around 400. See if he'll throw in a brake flush also and he might have a deal. But you could do a lot of it yourself.

Is $100 for fuel filter change reasonable? And is the Ford brand really the only brand I can use? He said any other brand will let water in and destroy my EGR.

No. That's too much. No. You can use any brand. I like Baldwin. You do NOT have an EGR. Find a new dealer if you go back because that only came on 6.0s and up. He's a That MAKES ME SO ANGRY that he would say that just to get money.

Tranny fluid he was charging $200. Is that right? Sure didn't seem like it.

I worked at a fast lube place and we charged 139 to drop the pan, change the filter, and flush out all the old and put in all new. Maybe a touch high.

I'm pretty mechanical so i dont mind doing what I can myself.

Thanks for any input. I'm liking the forum so far!
How HEUI works and best to convert
Read.
Also replied in red.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A child could do the fuel filter.. and I run NAPA brand no problems here.

And oh yeah trans is a lil pain in the butt but not bad..

LUCAS is scary stuff dont touch it ouch.

And oh yeah you dont have an EGR that idiot doesnt know what hes talking about...

Spending a couple of hours a week reading on here and you will learn ALOT.

Maintenance is key on these trucks and yet its not that hard.. btw power steering is just ATF, you could pull the cooler line(bottom of bumper in the center, tiny cooler) slowly change it out like that.. anyway welcome to the .org

And oh yeah last but not least if you need an air filter just get a piece of pvc, a hose clamp, and a 6637 filter, and you'll have your homemade intake for plenty cheap.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM

From what I've read, the Lucas stuff is something like 80w oil with extra soap additives. Not worth the cost of the plastic the bottle is made from.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank y'all for all the input so far. Y'all answered alot of my questions. Im sure ill have plenty more.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I paid $26 for a Motorcraft fuel filter from Advance Auto. It takes less than 10 mins to change, and most of that is getting something set up to catch the diesel in.

Guys are mentioning dropping the pan for the tranny fluid... which is fine, I do this method fairly frequently, but it only gets about 8 or so quarts out of the tranny...which holds like 20 quarts. I usually just drain the pan at every oil change.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 PM

who ever told you this is a looser. WOW. EGR? I woulda smacked the crap outta him for even saying that lol fuel filter? wicked cheap and easy. Yeah do a good intake on it. All the fluids are pretty easy to change on these trucks. good luck and welcome to the org.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.