I know what I would be getting into. That's part of why I don't really want to.
Originally Posted by Dasaliac03
If the truck is only 13k with that kind of mileage, id say go for it. Being a unlucky PMR truck myself, i know exactally what your worried about. 450hp is about the farthest "safe" rage ill push my rods but your right $2k for a forged bottom end done right, but after its done, will it even be stoppable? ha
goodluck with the truck hunt!
Thanks, my search has been going on for almost 10 months now, but only 4-6 have been seriously searching... I mean CL, Autotrader and Ebay almost daily searching. Find a few, sell on me, and repeat process.
I, personally wouldn't push more than tunes on a PMR motor. But I (I'm sure we both) know they break in stock trucks. I've also seen pictures of 5.9 Cummins rods break stock, and they'll hold some good power. It's just random, anything can, and will break sometime. IMO, it would be better to replace it before it goes because even if you spend $1,500 on a forged motor, and swap it in you still have a $1,000+ or so motor you can sell off. If they break, you're out that $1,500. This is, of course assuming you do all the work yourself. Or swapping rods, but I don't know what it would cost to have the crank rebalanced for the heavier forged rods. (From what I've heard anyways, not positive it needs to be rebalanced)
Originally Posted by usnavyad
I have to say it was well worth buying my forged 4/99 build you will be ok with some good tunes but alot of tuners wont run aggressive tunes on a pmr
Another good point, I like Matts tunes just based on ONE experience with his tunes, and I wasn't even driving. Truck that I really liked, and sold about a week before I could buy it. (250cc 200%, rebuilt motor, built trans, V3 Vegistroke, stock turbo. ~half throttle in his street tune, gave 30psi or so of boost, trans shifted nicely, and EGTs were very manageable considering the injectors and stock turbo. The new owner pulled a 12k or so trailer up a long, steep hill at 70, EGTs stayed at 1200*, he's thought about selling, but decided not to.. Believe me, I've tried.) He would be doing my tunes when it gets modded, so I would rather not pay 2 tuners for when it's not PMR. If it was going to stay as a PMR motor, PHP would win. (Let's not start a tuner debate, we all know how those end.
Originally Posted by Dave
Do you have everything you need to pull the motor or lift the cab in your driveway?
If so no question. Buy the 6.0
Nope, I would probably take out the grill, and pull it out that way. I wouldn't mind buying the stuff to do the swap, because it would still be cheaper than whatever a shop would charge.
I don't have to buy one of the two.
Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to stay with my plan and wait for a 99 or 2000. If I'm not mistaken ALL 99/2000s are forged right? The trial run of PMRs was early 01 IIRC? I have the engine serial number list somewhere, and approx. build dates for PMR trucks.