Buy a PMR Truck or Wait? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buy a PMR Truck or Wait?

I found a truck I like, but the problem is that it's an 01 with PMRs. Build date of 1/8/01, so it wasn't one of the lucky trucks. Anyways, that's really the only thing I don't like about the truck. The other thing is it's a DRW, which I don't need. I know people make good power with PMRs, but I think I'm always going to be worried about it putting one out the block, which with my luck would happen on day 31 of a 30 day warranty. I know I'll end up tuning it, but also have plans of in the next year or so, be at 500-550HP (probably dreaming here, but who knows). So in the end it will end up costing me ~$2k more in swapping out the motor/rods. I'm assuming a higher price because I'm not sure I want to pull a motor myself. I've never done anything close to that before. I know PMRs shouldn't really bother me because the chance is really low, but I can't imagine I won't always be worried about it. I'm not sure if the dealer has maintenance records or not. It's got 140k on it and they're stuck on $13k.

OR There is a 05 6.0, setup very similar, 3k more miles, for the same price. I have people that have worked on diesels before, and think we could do studs in the driveway.

Or, I can just wait around until a SRW forged rod truck comes along.

What does everyone think is the better option here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
I found a truck I like, but the problem is that it's an 01 with PMRs. Build date of 1/8/01, so it wasn't one of the lucky trucks. Anyways, that's really the only thing I don't like about the truck. The other thing is it's a DRW, which I don't need. I know people make good power with PMRs, but I think I'm always going to be worried about it putting one out the block, which with my luck would happen on day 31 of a 30 day warranty. I know I'll end up tuning it, but also have plans of in the next year or so, be at 500-550HP (probably dreaming here, but who knows). So in the end it will end up costing me ~$2k more in swapping out the motor/rods. I'm assuming a higher price because I'm not sure I want to pull a motor myself. I've never done anything close to that before. I know PMRs shouldn't really bother me because the chance is really low, but I can't imagine I won't always be worried about it. I'm not sure if the dealer has maintenance records or not. It's got 140k on it and they're stuck on $13k.

OR There is a 05 6.0, setup very similar, 3k more miles, for the same price. I have people that have worked on diesels before, and think we could do studs in the driveway.

Or, I can just wait around until a SRW forged rod truck comes along.

What does everyone think is the better option here?
If u wanna make big power, I say wait for a forged rod, or go with the 6.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into on the 6
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
agreed with above
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
If the truck is only 13k with that kind of mileage, id say go for it. Being a unlucky PMR truck myself, i know exactally what your worried about. 450hp is about the farthest "safe" rage ill push my rods but your right $2k for a forged bottom end done right, but after its done, will it even be stoppable? ha

goodluck with the truck hunt!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have to say it was well worth buying my forged 4/99 build you will be ok with some good tunes but alot of tuners wont run aggressive tunes on a pmr
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do you have everything you need to pull the motor or lift the cab in your driveway?

If so no question. Buy the 6.0
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I wouldnt jump on anything until you find exactly what you want or what you can at least work with. No reason to settle, these trucks pop up everyday.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
If u wanna make big power, I say wait for a forged rod, or go with the 6.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into on the 6
I know what I would be getting into. That's part of why I don't really want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasaliac03 View Post
If the truck is only 13k with that kind of mileage, id say go for it. Being a unlucky PMR truck myself, i know exactally what your worried about. 450hp is about the farthest "safe" rage ill push my rods but your right $2k for a forged bottom end done right, but after its done, will it even be stoppable? ha

goodluck with the truck hunt!
Thanks, my search has been going on for almost 10 months now, but only 4-6 have been seriously searching... I mean CL, Autotrader and Ebay almost daily searching. Find a few, sell on me, and repeat process.

I, personally wouldn't push more than tunes on a PMR motor. But I (I'm sure we both) know they break in stock trucks. I've also seen pictures of 5.9 Cummins rods break stock, and they'll hold some good power. It's just random, anything can, and will break sometime. IMO, it would be better to replace it before it goes because even if you spend $1,500 on a forged motor, and swap it in you still have a $1,000+ or so motor you can sell off. If they break, you're out that $1,500. This is, of course assuming you do all the work yourself. Or swapping rods, but I don't know what it would cost to have the crank rebalanced for the heavier forged rods. (From what I've heard anyways, not positive it needs to be rebalanced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
I have to say it was well worth buying my forged 4/99 build you will be ok with some good tunes but alot of tuners wont run aggressive tunes on a pmr
Another good point, I like Matts tunes just based on ONE experience with his tunes, and I wasn't even driving. Truck that I really liked, and sold about a week before I could buy it. (250cc 200%, rebuilt motor, built trans, V3 Vegistroke, stock turbo. ~half throttle in his street tune, gave 30psi or so of boost, trans shifted nicely, and EGTs were very manageable considering the injectors and stock turbo. The new owner pulled a 12k or so trailer up a long, steep hill at 70, EGTs stayed at 1200*, he's thought about selling, but decided not to.. Believe me, I've tried.) He would be doing my tunes when it gets modded, so I would rather not pay 2 tuners for when it's not PMR. If it was going to stay as a PMR motor, PHP would win. (Let's not start a tuner debate, we all know how those end. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Do you have everything you need to pull the motor or lift the cab in your driveway?

If so no question. Buy the 6.0
Nope, I would probably take out the grill, and pull it out that way. I wouldn't mind buying the stuff to do the swap, because it would still be cheaper than whatever a shop would charge.

I don't have to buy one of the two.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to stay with my plan and wait for a 99 or 2000. If I'm not mistaken ALL 99/2000s are forged right? The trial run of PMRs was early 01 IIRC? I have the engine serial number list somewhere, and approx. build dates for PMR trucks.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep u are right 99 and 2000 u are safe 01 is the pmr roll the dice on a o1 lol uvmay get lucky. Also u have e or l 99 s lol
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 PM

If i remember correctly, the change over from forged to pmr's occured in october or november of 2000 (build date wise). There were still a few forged motor builded after that, but there rare. The changeover was 100% complete by end of 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.