Battery Dying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery Dying

I have a 2000 250 4WD. I am looking for the common causes that would kill the batteries in the truck. It just started happening. Once the battery is charged it will crank with no problem. But if the truck sits for a couple of days the battery is dead and will not crank the truck. It will turn over but not crank. Other than putting a DC ampmeter on the battery and start pulling fuses I was looking for some imput as where to start. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I would pull the batteries and individually load test them, then pull/check the alternator. Could have a parasitic draw, as well. Check all your connections and keep an eye out for corrosion. Fuses all good?

Last edited by ToMang07; 10-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Are your batteries still good? If you had them for a few years they could be shot. Also if you ran them down too low they could be shot as well. If you know the batteries are good, check the engine bay thoroughly and see if you can find a wire that is rubbed thru and shorting your power out.

Is the truck running ok? Could be an underlying problem like the charging system or something.. Just throwing stuff out there. I am sure other will give you some ideas as well. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Batteries replaced in 07 along with the Alternator. Before this started happening I had no problem, truck would always crank and run. The truck runs great no problems there. This happen after i replaced my electric brake controller. I noticed that the batteries were dead. Pulled them out charged them and replaced, truck fired right up. Then i removed the brake controller thinking that it was the cause. But the batteries are still dying if I let the truck sit for a week.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your batteries are 4 years old... Average battery lifespan of a normal car is what, 5 years? These trucks are hell on batteries. Get them load tested and go from there.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the truck was having trouble cranking or starter was dragging and then the battery died I would say yea it is battery issue. This truck would crank up on the start and run.

I will just start pulling fuses and go from there.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Shoemaker View Post
If the truck was having trouble cranking or starter was dragging and then the battery died I would say yea it is battery issue. This truck would crank up on the start and run.

I will just start pulling fuses and go from there.
If you aren't going to listen to suggestions, don't ask for help.

I had a battery go bad on me this spring. Worked fine all winter, down to -25*F. Never had an issue starting. They it just crapped out, 1 cell bad, and the truck would crank all day and not start. If it doesn't have enough juice, you can crank till the cows come home but it won't start. If you want to diagnose a no-start condition, but aren't willing to check the basics... good luck.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
If you aren't going to listen to suggestions, don't ask for help.

I had a battery go bad on me this spring. Worked fine all winter, down to -25*F. Never had an issue starting. They it just crapped out, 1 cell bad, and the truck would crank all day and not start. If it doesn't have enough juice, you can crank till the cows come home but it won't start. If you want to diagnose a no-start condition, but aren't willing to check the basics... good luck.
Not being an a** here but is seems that nobody is reading my post or maybe I am not explaining it clearly. but the battery does fine if I drive the truck everday. It is only when it sits for a week that the batteries are dead as I mention in the first post. I have checked and found that when the truck is off I am pulling 3.9 amps from somewhere. I pulled all the fuses and I am still pulling 3.9 amps. Must be a relay sticking somewhere.

Last edited by Josh Shoemaker; 10-06-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That 3.9 amp draw is about right. I would have the batteries checked. I had the same problem with my truck before I changed mine. As long as I would drive the truck every 3-4 days it would be fine. Any more than that then it wouldn't crank. You can pull the alternator too just to have it checked. It wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PowestrokeDSL View Post
That 3.9 amp draw is about right. I would have the batteries checked. I had the same problem with my truck before I changed mine. As long as I would drive the truck every 3-4 days it would be fine. Any more than that then it wouldn't crank. You can pull the alternator too just to have it checked. It wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
OK I going to pull the batteries and the alternater. I don't think it is the alternater when running I have 14.24 volts across the battery. I will let yall know what the result is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.