99 7.3 will not turn over - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 will not turn over

Hello all,

I have visited the site numerous times in the past. Lots of great info. This is my first and hope someone can give me some valuable info. First off I'm not very familiar with regards to diagnosing/repairing mechanical and/or electrical issues, so be patient with me. I know enough to get me in trouble.

I have a 99 7.3 6speed with 180k. cam positioning sensor has been replaced. The plastic clutch safety switch located on the push rod busted a couple of months ago, but i rigged it with some tape and basically it hasn't given me to many problems. Occasionally the truck won't turn over so i reach under the dash and reposition the switch and all is good.

Yesterday I climbed under the hood to replace the fuel filter. After replacement I attempted to start truck and just got a clicking sound. Engine would not turn over. I decided the clutch safety switch had finally given up so I purchased a new one and installed it. This didn't help anything. Thinking the switch may be defective I removed it from the from the clutch push rod and manually slid the contacts forward while my son tried to start the truck. Still nothing. I did notice that when the key is turned to the starting position, when I slide the clutch safety switch forward it causes the clicking sound which makes me think the switch is working as it should and that there is another issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check the relay on the passenger fender. You can try jumping it with a screwdriver, turn the key to the run position and make sure the truck is out of gear first.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Govy Magnet

Not trying to belittle your knowledge...but did you check the batteries? Is the clicking coming down from the engine bay or inside the cab? Do you hear the fuel pump kicking on when you put it in Run? WTS light light up? The temperature change is starting to take affect and the first place you will see it on these trucks in in the battery life. I had to replace 2 Optima Red-Tops within 2 years since the weather is so drastically different in 29 from summer to winter.
~Phil
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonimaxx View Post
Not trying to belittle your knowledge...but did you check the batteries? Is the clicking coming down from the engine bay or inside the cab? Do you hear the fuel pump kicking on when you put it in Run? WTS light light up? The temperature change is starting to take affect and the first place you will see it on these trucks in in the battery life. I had to replace 2 Optima Red-Tops within 2 years since the weather is so drastically different in 29 from summer to winter.
~Phil

^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
99 7.3 won't crank
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Phil,
Batteries are good. Clicking noise appears to be a relay switch under the hood on the passenger side. I looked it up on auto zone web site. I think it's the glow plug relay. When I have my son turn the key that relay makes a loud clicking noise. The WTS light is working properly. Thanks for any info.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi,

The relay under hood on pass side you mentioned is where the clicking noise is coming from when I turn the key to attempt to start the engine. Sorry but I don't understand how to go about jumping the relay with a screwdriver. Can you explain with more detail for me.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Same problem! Batteries are good and replaced safety switch. Will turn over by jumping the solenoid.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:43 AM

check the #30 30amp fuse. if popped, unplug the fuel bowl heater, and see what happens
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Fuel bowl heater was unplugged long ago. Decided to swap my relays around and that solved most of my issue. It still won't start from the switch. Had to jump the starter relay. I hands a cousin with a parts truck so maybe I can try some parts and get this figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.