Ball joint, Hub assembly and axle u joint repair.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball joint, Hub assembly and axle u joint repair....

I needed to replace the Hubs, ball joints and axle u joints so I tore it all apart today in hopes I could get both sides done today, let me tell you.....a truck from MN is not easy to work on. I read through some of the write-ups guys did on here and they have it easy!!! I read through it and thought "this should be easy!!!!!!" yeah right!! everything was so rusted and "froze", like the u joints, the little c clips that hold them in, I had to spray with PB blaster (awesome product by the way) several times and still had to break all of them to get them out. the ball joints were ridiculous!! Thank God I had a ball joint press to get those out....they wouldn't budge even with a BFH!! all in all, I'm so glad I got one side done today, tomorrow is the other side.... shouldn't take as long cause I've been soaking everything in PB blaster....

Question about the dust seal, since they are pretty much useless anyways, cause even if I replaced them, in 2K miles, they would probably come out and pretty much be an axle hula hoop, is it bad that I just left them off?? I figured Id save the $30 and just not even buy new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The dust seal? At the end of the axle tube?

First, I don't think you should have to pay $15ea for them.. Are they really that much?

Second, I know what you mean,,, but,,, I'm not sure I'd actually leave them out.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Napa auto had them for 13 and change...after taxes it was $33 for two! I took them back, I didnt install them, so I hope it doesnt haunt me later on....Im done with the whole truck now though. Im so happy!!!! what a pain in the A$$!!! Finished everything and put a dual steering stabilizer on there from Rough Country.....It feels so good to drive it now!!!!!! I didnt realize how bad my parts were before....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM

yeah all those seals are expensive..wanna say the last time i did one i had over $100 in seals.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

I paid $49 for each knuckle seal at NAPA, cause no other parts stores around here.....it sucks!!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM

well at least you should be good for a while now. and as far as that dust seal if you do mostly highway driving i wouldnt think it will make much difference. They don't last long anyways. If you do some off road driving you might want to have them, they dont really stop much water, but they do keep dirt and stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.