Buying lifted truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying lifted truck

I am hopefully buying a 03 ECSB with a 8" suspension lift with weld wheels and 16/38/16.5 swamper tsl tires. I am not a huge fan of how big it is, mostly buying because its a good deal on a low mileage 7.3. The owner said it'd be easy to lower the lift, I don't know all that is done but said I'd need shorter leaf springs, don't know what else. Definitely want to put smaller tires on it, maybe a 2-3" lift (4" max) and some different wheels, prefer black. I am mechanically inclined, but never lifted a truck before so I don't know all that is involved. Not sure if I can just buy leaf springs that will just lower it down about 5" or will I need more then that? The tires/rims I can easily sell and get different ones, the lift I am concerned about, don't know the different types of lifts and what exactly is involved in a suspension lift, hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to lower it. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Leaf springs, sway bar links, and pitman arm up front. In the rear, just remove the blocks (if any) or new springs. I'm sure you can find somebody who wants to do the opposite swap of you.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is what I am hoping for, to get someone who wants to go bigger. I don't mind a small lift, but 8" is too big. I'll have to start shopping for some new wheels, where is the best place to buy them? Just leaf springs, SB links and pitman arm doesn't sound like too much of a pain. We'll see, hopefully picking up the truck tonight. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM

It would be best to find someone to do a complete swap with. And Im sure you wont have a problem with that. when you have a 8 inch lift you need a longer driveshaft so Im sure that once you get back down to factory or a 4 inch lift the drive shaft for the front (from the 8 inch lift) will be too long. So if you can find someone to swap you the factory driveshaft and all the needed parts that will be alot easier.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am hoping to find someone with a 2-3" lift, I don't think I want to turn it back to stock though. I definitely want to get some smaller tires on it since that kills MPG and there mostly off roading tires I think, I need more street tires since I will be towing. If I kept the 8" lift and put smaller tires on it, won't that look stupid? I will probably have to lower it down 4-5" less to make it look ok I guess.

What is a 2003 7.3 4x4 extended cab 101k miles built trans, 4" downpipe into 5" exhaust, edge juice attitude tuner, 8" suspension lift, weld wheels, 38 swamper tsl tires, has some dents inside the bed and on the tailgate from hauling stuff but other then that pretty clean straight truck, whats it worth?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

id say around 15k
Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, thanks.

The owner didn't mention anything about the driveshaft on the lift, just said I'd need some new leak springs and possible a couple other little things, I guess what zaairman said SB links and pitman arm. Hopefully I won't need a driveshaft, I don't know how it will be after I drop down to a 2-3" lift if I will need anything rebalanced? Not sure how that works. How would 32" tires look on a 8" lift? Stupid? How about on a 2-3"? What are stock size? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM

If you want a two inch lift all the way around then you just need a front end leveling kit and F350 blocks in the rear(depending on your truck)
I personally think that 32s under a 8 inch lift will look bad, but thats me.
You most likely will need an aligment after you change everything around
stock tire size is 265/75/16 i believe. Which is like a 31ish inch tire.
Ive seen guys run 35s under their trucks with just the leveling kit, but you will rub little. 285/75/16 is like a 33 inch tire and looks real good with a leveling kit.
This can be done but like I said the best way would be to find someone to do a stock for lift swap then just level the front.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabber View Post
Ok, thanks.

The owner didn't mention anything about the driveshaft on the lift, just said I'd need some new leak springs and possible a couple other little things, I guess what zaairman said SB links and pitman arm. Hopefully I won't need a driveshaft, I don't know how it will be after I drop down to a 2-3" lift if I will need anything rebalanced? Not sure how that works. How would 32" tires look on a 8" lift? Stupid? How about on a 2-3"? What are stock size? Thanks.
It would look absolutely terrible no doubt. 2-3" it would look better but maybe a little off still. I have 33" on a stock height minus an add a leaf and bags in the back so I maybe got an 1" in front and it looks about perfect. So 2-3" you would be best suited with 35" but I like full fender wells without rubbing though. You may think it looks alright though
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the informative posts. Maybe I will go with a 2" leveling kit and 34s. All I know is 8" lift and 38s are just way too big for me. Who knows though, maybe I will get used to it, I just plan on doing some long trips (several hours) towing a boat, that is mainly what the truck will be used for, so I don't see a huge lift and swamper tires helping me out there. I guess I will swap suspension with someone if I can find a truck that is in good shape and then buy new rims/tires and sell the old ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.