rust prevention before winter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rust prevention before winter

Dear All,
Im trying to apply anti rust paint to my truck this weekend for the winter and or longetvity of my truck. i was just wondering what products are best and what kind of preparation i need to do. also i'd like to keep this relatively cheap but for quality i will spend the money. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I haven't done it yet, but I'm gonna pick up a cheap paint sprayer and use old oil and spray that on.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM

I also would like to hear some responses. I just got my truck and the underbody is pretty rusty. Ive been told to spray everything with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Good idea or no? Any better suggestions?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those "rust conversion" brush-on jells (the kind with no prep and turns black and glass like) don't last long and I don't think are the best choice.

Por-15, or KBS have good products. It's not all that easy to prep with (nothing good is going to be) but if you do it right, will last a long time. This is a scrape, degrease, phosphate etch, paint X2, topcover, process.

Another alternative I use for all my brake/fuel/trans steel lines is to coat them once a year with LPS #3 Corrosion Inhibitor (Home Depot now carries the PB version that looks good and is easier to find). It's a aerosol spray that has a waxy coating that does a really good job of protecting steel stuff. I've been blasting my oil pan for years and it looks New! I just HATE replacing steel brake lines and still have the original ones on my trailer that are 15yrs old and parked on dirt & grass year round.

You could do a yearly spraying on everything under your truck I'm sure and stop further corrosion I'm sure (might take 1/2dz cans though )
Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I was leaning away from POR 15 and towards the eastwood stuff because of some good info from other forums. Biggest reason was because of the prep. They say just scrape off the loose stuff and it will work just fine. It would be awesome to scrape, degrease, etch, paint.......... Just alot of work Ill have to figure something out
Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM

POR-15!! I've used it on a lot of trucks stuff is awesome! Little bit of prep work but way worth it.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Kbs is just as good as por-15 just a little bit cheaper. I have it on my truck and it works good but it is still hard to get in the areas that need it most (like in the rockers, cab corners, and rear wheel arches). This is where I spray the waste oil on. It works best to get a under coating gun to do this. A paint sprayer doesn't work unless you really dillute the oil and then it washes off to quick like wd-40.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have used POR15 many times. Many restorations. I have used it on fresh metal and it was perfect. I have used it over existing rust - horrible results, helped make the rust come quicker.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I have used POR15 many times. Many restorations. I have used it on fresh metal and it was perfect. I have used it over existing rust - horrible results, helped make the rust come quicker.
You didn't do it right then

It's all about a proper prep. If you're going to stop the corrosion and prevent it from happening again you need to put the effort in......
Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
You didn't do it right then

It's all about a proper prep. If you're going to stop the corrosion and prevent it from happening again you need to put the effort in......
I wish that was the case! Donít get me wrong, we still use it on some cars in some areas. Now if we are doing an 80k resto, believe me this stuff wouldnít even need to be near one of the cars (why rust proof something that doesnt even get breathed on!)

But someone told me the stuff doesnít hold up. This was crazy to me because I loved using the stuff. At the time I was driving a beater Fairlane. We painted potion of the frame with a rattle can and a portion with POR15. And I really wish I was joking but the POR15 didnít hold up any better than the painted area.

Again, not knocking it completely, might have been a fluke! It was prepped correctly (unfortunately I know how to do a perfect prep job).

I now use it on the inner floors of cars I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.