Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

years of 7.3 powerstrokes with no cat?

56K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  Tiger Timber 
#1 ·
I was reading that some of the 7.3 powerstrokes didn't come with catalytic converters. Why is this and what years don't come with one? I'm most likely purchasing a 2000 this week, I was just curious if this truck had one or not.
Thanks

#2 ·
My '01 Auto transmission did not come with a cat... From what I understand, the manual transmission trucks that year came with a cat. Not sure on other years

#3 ·
99.5 No cat.

Peace,

#5 ·
Its random at best from what i've seen, all else fails chop it off, and if you need it on, gut it and put it back, lol.

#6 ·
My 2000 manual no have one either

#7 ·
should have a sticker under the hood that says non catalyst or catalyst, at least mine does.

2003 auto no cat

#22 ·
You can cut it off and drill through it, but most guys just go with a full exhaust because it's not going to be a whole lot more money if you plan on installing it yourself vs. having the gutten cat re-welded. My truck sure runs better with no cat and now no EBPV (and new up-pipes and gaskets), I would be willing to bet the EGT's are down quite a bit.

#21 ·
'00 f-350, no cat. Word.............................

#23 ·
my dads 01 auto doesnt have a cat

#26 ·
I recently bought a 1999 F-250. The truck has a 2002 7.3 motor in it. The exhaust that was on it didn't have a cat or a muffler and it passed smog(when I went to register the truck the smog had expired) . I threw on a 4 inch straight pipe on it. Went to try to smog it and it wouldn't pass due to not having a cat. I've been told the 02 is a non cat. Any way I can prove that? Really could use some help.

#28 ·
no sticker for the 02 motor, the 99 sticker is on there still. I live in Northern California. I've been reading on forums and all I'm seeing is the 02 doesn't have a cat. Drive right told me I needed to have a "ref" to check out my truck in order to get the truck smogged. Would I be able to get any info from the ford dealership about the 02 non cat? I would like to have some kind of paperwork saying it doesn't need it to back me up... Any ideas? or am I just going to have to find an exhuast with a cat an put that one for the test .. Thanks

#45 · (Edited)
no sticker for the 02 motor, the 99 sticker is on there still. I live in Northern California. I've been reading on forums and all I'm seeing is the 02 doesn't have a cat. Drive right told me I needed to have a "ref" to check out my truck in order to get the truck smogged. Would I be able to get any info from the ford dealership about the 02 non cat? I would like to have some kind of paperwork saying it doesn't need it to back me up... Any ideas? or am I just going to have to find an exhuast with a cat an put that one for the test .. Thanks
[/QUOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.