Input on Possible Purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Input on Possible Purchase

Hello, Iím new here. Iíve been looking at f250 both PSD and 5.4 gas. Iíve come across what seems to be a reasonable deal on a 2000 f250 PSD crew cab 4wd in great shape (checking it out this weekend) with about 75k on it. The only thing that concerns me is that the turbo was already replaced at about 65k miles. The owner said there was a TSB he wasnít aware of about loose housings bolts, his turbo was leaking some oil into the intake as a result. Iím not sure if this sounds right. He had it replaced with a new ford unit. He has already replaced the disks, ball joints, and brake pads in the past few months.

First of all what would you pay for this?
Is the failing turbo at this mileage a typical thing?
Is there anything else I should look for aside from the list that is posted up?

Any input appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 10:17 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Welcome to the Org.

Now for your concerns Turbo is not usually a problem on the 7.3L's I have a 2002 with 150,000 miles on it with the original turbo. I would be more concerned with transmission problems. Anyone that has the newer PSD 7.3L with the 4R100 know that the transmissions are a weak link in the truck. Not to discourage you any. I know guys with 200+ miles on stock transmissions. But I know guys like me that have had transmission problems. Usually when they occur you just get a solid rebuilt one with upgrades. Then you usually don't have any more problems. The other things that is typical wear and tear parts that wear out and need to be replaced.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

to Powerstroke.org. Here is a link with some info for you to readWhat to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD Those bolts are known to come loose, but if you have a new factory turbo you should be good to go. Sounds like the guy maintains his truck with all the new items. Could be a good truck to buy with the low miles. What is he asking for the truck? I would venture a guess and say 18,000 would be a good price if its in excellent shape.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes!! This seems like a great forum! Thanks for the link but I had already checked it out while lurking around here. Some good info on things to look for, I've already made a list for this saturday when I go to look at it. He's actually about 15k, and it seems like there is still room to move down. It seems like a killer deal because he is throwing in a set of new track racks and a 3 peice hard bed cover. Also, he says it looks like new in and out but we'll see. I'm really going to have a hard time not buying it immediately if everything checks out. I had originally planned to buy this spring and save some cash over the winter but this just cause my eye. I had actually decided I would probably end up with a 5.4 becuse the diesels that were in my price range usually had well over 150k and I just wanted something less used. So this may be the ticket........ Hello car loan!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Welcome to the Site! Sounds like a nice truck. Hope it checks out good for you.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Wow 15 thousand sounds great! Is it loaded ie a lariet or xlt?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM

It's a loaded lariat
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Well if its in good shape with those low miles jump at it thats a heck of a deal
Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Also one other thing to check is if you live in country that salts the roads or the truck has been in salty roads check the oil pan as they are prone to rusting. You have to remove the engine to replace the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.