Need help, storage questions.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help, storage questions....

Hey guys,
I'm leaving for Afghanistan for seven months and I'm gonna be storing my truck out in the desert the whole time. This isn't what I want but I don't have any other choice.
It will be stored out in the open in a fenced in area and I want to buy a cover for it, otherwise it will be subject to rain, snow, sun, and blowing sand until April.

I was wondering what else I should do for storage to keep my truck in top condition. Anything I should add to the engine or fuel tank?

Thanks for your time,

Zack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would definitely put about 10 coats (literally) of 3M Performance Finish paint sealant on it, it's great stuff and really protects well. I usually use two coats for the year and it keeps up with the rain and snow, doesn't really wash away like regular wax. It will help keep your paint nice along with the cover. The most important thing is probably going to be getting that cover down as snug as possible so no wind gets under it, and a waterproof fabric would be best IMO.

As far as the engine, I woulnd't worry about the oil until you get back, but it would be a good idea to put some kind of diesel fuel stabalizer in there just for good measure. I have left my truck sitting in a garage untouched for a couple of months and, aside from being a little dusty, it didn't miss a beat.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Try searching the forum. I know there are links to a Ford site for recommended storage tips.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here's what I found when I was searching the forum before I deployed. Hope it helps. Semper Fi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VEHICLE STORAGE.pdf (104.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Govy Magnet

Whats up boss. If you are in 29 palms...both my trucks have been stored there twice. (currently the 7.3 is still stored). Do oil/filter change, and get some Diesel Fuel Stabil (I called and asked to make sure it takes a different type, and it DOES). Anyway, do that both times I have sprayed down all the weather stripping with WD...that way they don't dry out too much. Don't use Armorall...use Mcguirres (doesn't use silicone so it won't dry out and crack). If you are storing it with TMO...they will not let you use a cover. I paid to have it stored last time at a place right off base (and if you are in 29 I would recommend them) they are great, Adobe Storage...the guy is real nice, and helped out for my re-registration my parents called and he took pictures of the trucks and sent them as proof that they are out of state.) That was 45 a month per vic...not bad, and its fenced and under surveillance. Hope this helps (not sure if you are out of 29) if you are, I hope this helps, I'm coming home to my babies soon, and I miss them! lol
~Phil

Any more questions feel free to contact me.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup MEGUIARS products only,
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Govy Magnet

Thanks for the spell check. If I was home I definitely would have looked over at the Meguiars products that are around the house lol, except for windows. I love Stoners Invisible glass...great product, and my wife always ends up stealing it for the house lol. Anyways like I said man, you can't store it on base with a cover, so if that was your intent, think differently. Also your command will more than likely harp on you for not TMO'ing it (Oh blah blah its free...its insured blah blah...) but I would pay for it to be covered alone!
~Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.