About to buy a 2002- Few Questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to buy a 2002- Few Questions.

Hi guys. this is my first post and as the title says, i have a few questions. My dad has a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 and i am about to pull the trigger on the same truck with 150,00 miles. I only have a few questions- th oil was last changed 2000 miles ago and is black as molasses. is this normal? my dads 2002 with 2000 miles on the oil is still clean.

There are a few hoses that connect to the front brake caliper- on for ABS, another for the actualy fluid- what is the third one for? its ripped off on the passenger side, but still in tact on the right side. Any ideas?

My other concern is more for smog- when i stomp on the gas gas in neutral with the one im about to buy there is a quick puff of black smoke- i know this is normal for any diesel, BUT, since i live in the great state of CALIFORNIA, will this be an issue with smog?

There arent any modifications to the engine, and the tranny was rebuilt at 135,000. as well as the ball joints, brakes, and shocks.

Any help or advise would be greatly helpful as i need to know asap- id be buying the truck in about 4 hours!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The broken hose may be the vacuum line for the hubs if this truck is a 4X4.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It connects to the front of the brake caliper. and they are manual hubs. could that still make sense.?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM

can't answer any questions concerning Cali emission issues.

Are you positive the oil was changed 2k ago or they just telling you that? Does the oil smell odd? Is it low? Might as well ask when the fuel filter was changed as well to see what kind of answer you get.

As for the hoses I am going to assume they don't all actually connect to the caliper. That being said I am also assuming the 3 you are speaking of are the brake line, abs sensor and vacuum line for the stock auto locking hubs (if this is a 4x4 of course). And I would guess the one ripped off is the vacuum line for the auto hubs.

Do you know the person you are buying it from? Does it look like normal maintenance was done? Trans went a bit early I would think. Your dad has a 7.3, does he have a scanner for it? Check the codes, pull an oasis report (I think that is what they are called). These trucks are great and run for ever if taken care of, but can be a money pit if you don't look it over well.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertham1 View Post
It connects to the front of the brake caliper. and they are manual hubs. could that still make sense.?
I should have refreshed before I submitted my last reply (got side tracked). There should only be one line connected to the caliper and that is the brake line. Are they the stock hubs or after market?

this pic is from Guzzles website, notice the 3 lines, only one is on the caliper.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/pics/nb08a.jpg

Last edited by JBeaz; 09-07-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: picture might make it easier
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeaz View Post
can't answer any questions concerning Cali emission issues.

Are you positive the oil was changed 2k ago or they just telling you that? Does the oil smell odd? Is it low? Might as well ask when the fuel filter was changed as well to see what kind of answer you get.

As for the hoses I am going to assume they don't all actually connect to the caliper. That being said I am also assuming the 3 you are speaking of are the brake line, abs sensor and vacuum line for the stock auto locking hubs (if this is a 4x4 of course). And I would guess the one ripped off is the vacuum line for the auto hubs.

Do you know the person you are buying it from? Does it look like normal maintenance was done? Trans went a bit early I would think. Your dad has a 7.3, does he have a scanner for it? Check the codes, pull an oasis report (I think that is what they are called). These trucks are great and run for ever if taken care of, but can be a money pit if you don't look it over well.

He definitely seems like the kind of guy that keeps thing fixed.

He is a contractor and does tow with it somewhat often. on the scales at them dumps he said his total weight with trailor was usually about 12,000 to 13,000 lbs. the truck weights about 8k so that puts his loat at about 6-7k.

My dad does not have a scanner for it. Its used, and a little dirty, but from what it looks like and he says, when there was an issue, he took it in to get it fixed. he has reaplaced the shocks, calipers and rotors, alternator, transmission, and he also said that there was a fuel leak in the rear of the engine that he had fixed.

Is $14,750 a reasonable amount? 2002 F250 7.3 4x4 XLT. plus color matching camper shell. new tires. 153,000 miles.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertham1 View Post
He definitely seems like the kind of guy that keeps thing fixed.

He is a contractor and does tow with it somewhat often. on the scales at them dumps he said his total weight with trailor was usually about 12,000 to 13,000 lbs. the truck weights about 8k so that puts his loat at about 6-7k.

My dad does not have a scanner for it. Its used, and a little dirty, but from what it looks like and he says, when there was an issue, he took it in to get it fixed. he has reaplaced the shocks, calipers and rotors, alternator, transmission, and he also said that there was a fuel leak in the rear of the engine that he had fixed.

Is $14,750 a reasonable amount? 2002 F250 7.3 4x4 XLT. plus color matching camper shell. new tires. 153,000 miles.
Check the blue book, then check online and see what others are going for. Take everything at face value, unless you personally know the seller or they have documentation on everything that has been done, i wouldn't just believe everything they tell you. I have seen plenty of people tell a buyer what they want to hear to sell their headache. I am not saying this seller is that way, I don't know who it is or the vehicle you are looking at, I am just saying there are plenty of vehicles out there (I would bet cheaper as well) so if you have any concerns just walk a way, there will be other 7.3's for sale. I drove from Northern IL to Southern TN to pick up a 7.3 I got there and something didn't seem right, I walked a way. I ended up buying one out of Southern Florida, flew down there and drove it back. A little more miles than what you are looking at, 2000 Lariat CCSB 4x4 with a 6" lift and I paid significantly less than the price you are considering.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There will always be better deals. my dad bought his 2002 7.3 4x4 for 14,100 with 90k miles and in bascially new condition. guy never towed with it either. this truck is very close to where i live as well. itd be about 500 under blue book, but ive searched around here San Francisco area for the last 2 months anve have only found 1 other 2002 f250 4 door 4x4 with the 7.3 that wasnt all tricked out with a lift or engine mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.