Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Synthetic Or Regular.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rcoker6493 
#1 ·
I was debating on switching the front and rear end and Motor to Synthetic. I was wondering what the Benefits and Downfalls would be switching to Synthetic. And what is a good Synthetic for the Diffs and Motor??

#2 · (Edited)
The olny comment i have about synthic's is that seam to b a large drain on anyones $$$$ Resorces... these oils were origionaly devleoped for use in turbine engines My Son runs Rotella T 15-40 in his 150K $ Peterbuilt and realy sees no need for synthic oil. I feel the same about my 7.3 PSD and it has been running fine and i realy can't rationalize the ue of money resorces for any synthic oil... Just my opinion 4 what ever its worth..... Bill>>>>>>>>>>
Oh i forgot 2 menion,as an old jet mechanic,i fulley understand Synthic oils an i take into concideratin the fact that in a turbine the oil does not come in contact with the combustion part of the engine the oil in one of those engines is crystal clean and almost clear,and is changed annualy. or at a engine change .. Sorry 4 being so long winded !!!

#5 ·
The olny comment i have about synthic's is that seam to b a large drain on anyones $$$$ Resorces... these oils were origionaly devleoped for use in turbine engines My Son runs Rotella T 15-40 in his 150K $ Peterbuilt and realy sees no need for synthic oil. I feel the same about my 7.3 PSD and it has been running fine and i realy can't rationalize the ue of money resorces for any synthic oil... Just my opinion 4 what ever its worth..... Bill>>>>>>>>>>
Oh i forgot 2 menion,as an old jet mechanic,i fulley understand Synthic oils an i take into concideratin the fact that in a turbine the oil does not come in contact with the combustion part of the engine the oil in one of those engines is crystal clean and almost clear,and is changed annualy. or at a engine change .. Sorry 4 being so long winded !!!
That is true about jet engines. But I believe the costs come out about the same. I go 3 to 4 times longer without an oil change then dino oil users. I don't try to talk people into one or the other. Use whatever you are happy and comfortable with.

#3 ·
I would say the benifits are better flow properties when cold and probobly better wear characteristics then dino but at a price to the pocket book.

#4 ·
the best benefit is heat reduction. Heat is a killer of everythin mechanical. I can feel a significant difference before and after syn. was added. Now I believe some of the newer Fords hae syn oil in the rear ends, so check first. Synthetics also offer some increase in mpg.

#7 ·
yup dino= conventional. FYI the rear end in your truck should have synthetic 75w140 gear oil stock

#8 ·
Also longer oil change intervals, cooler running engines and trannys are advantages to synthetics. But my favorite advantage is no dependence on foreign oil

#9 ·
Speeking of cold starting : I also take into concideration the "stickability" of oil to a part remeber wen a engine is super cold,the cam lobs are striking the lifters or valve stems without any lube for a little amount of time. This causes what is called "SPALLING" usualy found on lifter looking like neet circles on the bottom of the lifter. NOw i know this is splitting hairs but at hte same time you are wearing cam lobes.. these are the things we all need to take into concideration wen chosing an oil. And what i mentioned here is just the tip of the iceburg so 2 speek . its a give and take situation, orwhat can be tolrated the most without excessive wear on any spific part... Bill

#11 ·
I switch my truck to AMES 15W-40 and the tranny to Penzoil Synthetic blend ATF w/ a Mag-Hytec deep pan (24 qtrs).. That AMES oil is some good oil. I noticed a difference as soon as I changed the oil and the oil after 500 miles still looks good (maybe a little cloudy). Engine is running much smoother and makes less noise and the same with the tranny. But as they say it is your call..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.