Synthetic Or Regular. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Synthetic Or Regular.

I was debating on switching the front and rear end and Motor to Synthetic. I was wondering what the Benefits and Downfalls would be switching to Synthetic. And what is a good Synthetic for the Diffs and Motor??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
The olny comment i have about synthic's is that seam to b a large drain on anyones $$$$ Resorces... these oils were origionaly devleoped for use in turbine engines My Son runs Rotella T 15-40 in his 150K $ Peterbuilt and realy sees no need for synthic oil. I feel the same about my 7.3 PSD and it has been running fine and i realy can't rationalize the ue of money resorces for any synthic oil... Just my opinion 4 what ever its worth..... Bill>>>>>>>>>>
Oh i forgot 2 menion,as an old jet mechanic,i fulley understand Synthic oils an i take into concideratin the fact that in a turbine the oil does not come in contact with the combustion part of the engine the oil in one of those engines is crystal clean and almost clear,and is changed annualy. or at a engine change .. Sorry 4 being so long winded !!!

Last edited by WILLIAM LORCH; 08-20-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add a line
Old 08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I would say the benifits are better flow properties when cold and probobly better wear characteristics then dino but at a price to the pocket book.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

the best benefit is heat reduction. Heat is a killer of everythin mechanical. I can feel a significant difference before and after syn. was added. Now I believe some of the newer Fords hae syn oil in the rear ends, so check first. Synthetics also offer some increase in mpg.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAM LORCH View Post
The olny comment i have about synthic's is that seam to b a large drain on anyones $$$$ Resorces... these oils were origionaly devleoped for use in turbine engines My Son runs Rotella T 15-40 in his 150K $ Peterbuilt and realy sees no need for synthic oil. I feel the same about my 7.3 PSD and it has been running fine and i realy can't rationalize the ue of money resorces for any synthic oil... Just my opinion 4 what ever its worth..... Bill>>>>>>>>>>
Oh i forgot 2 menion,as an old jet mechanic,i fulley understand Synthic oils an i take into concideratin the fact that in a turbine the oil does not come in contact with the combustion part of the engine the oil in one of those engines is crystal clean and almost clear,and is changed annualy. or at a engine change .. Sorry 4 being so long winded !!!
That is true about jet engines. But I believe the costs come out about the same. I go 3 to 4 times longer without an oil change then dino oil users. I don't try to talk people into one or the other. Use whatever you are happy and comfortable with.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM

dino= conventional?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
yup dino= conventional. FYI the rear end in your truck should have synthetic 75w140 gear oil stock
Old 08-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Also longer oil change intervals, cooler running engines and trannys are advantages to synthetics. But my favorite advantage is no dependence on foreign oil
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
Speeking of cold starting : I also take into concideration the "stickability" of oil to a part remeber wen a engine is super cold,the cam lobs are striking the lifters or valve stems without any lube for a little amount of time. This causes what is called "SPALLING" usualy found on lifter looking like neet circles on the bottom of the lifter. NOw i know this is splitting hairs but at hte same time you are wearing cam lobes.. these are the things we all need to take into concideration wen chosing an oil. And what i mentioned here is just the tip of the iceburg so 2 speek . its a give and take situation, orwhat can be tolrated the most without excessive wear on any spific part... Bill
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM

what should I run in the Front Diff Rear Diff and Motor Weight andEtc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.