New Guy with a 7.3. Couple questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy with a 7.3. Couple questions.

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum. I've had my 2000 F-250 2wd for probably 5 years no. Completely stock except for the addition of an Edge Juice with Attitude. Me and my brother got to talking trucks this weekend and started playing with the idea of straight-piping the ol beater. How do these sound with a straight pipe? I want a little more noise (I'll admit I'm a Cummins fan) and SMOKE for that matter. Anyone know how to get more than a little puff out of an automatic?

I'm really just looking for any mods I can do on the cheap. I'm a poor college guy. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something else as I get to know the forum.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would do the straight pipe, they sound good.. my buddy called mine a helicopter because I drove by him while he was getting his kid ice cream and he said it was loud on the side of the street. It wasn't too bad in the cab, tolerable.. my truck I have now had stacks and I sold them and dumped it right behind the cab... Way too loud! My 4" system is on its way now! If you want smoke you need to over fuel it and the best way I know of is a $3-500 TS chip. If you want some more turbo whistle for free/cheap do the DIY intake/filter and remove the foil from the CAC pipes... looks better anyway.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
smoke is just unburnt fuel anyway.. that being said get a chip with some real tunes, PHP has the best price $295 6pos chip.

And while you're at it do a diy intake, dump that muffler, and you'll find plenty of other lil things to do.. once you start you cant stop.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Another smoke post really
Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
I wouldn't call it a smoke post. More of an exhaust post that mentioned smoke. I'm more concerned about sound than smoke, anyway.

Thanks to the others who gave their input.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

my 4" straight pipe is WAYYY too loud for my liking. I would have rather kept with the stock pipe knowing what i know now. Possibly gutted the stock muffler if anything, but egts were never a problem stock.

I'm looking into a 4" muffler (which may negate the whole upgrade to 4" exhaust, making it an expensive moot point).
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerC2 View Post
(I'll admit I'm a Cummins fan) and SMOKE for that matter.
2 things that WON'T win you any popularity contests around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerC2 View Post
I wouldn't call it a smoke post. More of an exhaust post that mentioned smoke. I'm more concerned about sound than smoke, anyway.

Thanks to the others who gave their input.
Don't take it personally man, just we get the occasional guy (read KID) in here that just wants to make smoke and create chaos. Those who are positive members of the "Diesel Community" agree that blowing smoke is pointless and part of the reason why diesels get so much flack fom the public. That said, theres a time and a place.

I agree with a 4" turbo-back exhaust for better performance/egts, but a 5" will give you more sound. I have a 4" with muffler, (Its pertty much 4" straight through) and love it, just a tad louder than stock, but the performance is much better. Check out the DIY 6637 Intake, and if you decide to get a chip, PHP had my vote, just be sure to get gauges first!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Mango I so agree I almost had to call u on a truck last night btw, but I got it lol and way I have stock down pipe to 5 inch stacks sounds great drown puts my wife to sleep. Also I don't mean to sound like a jerk just sick of kids and diesels lol
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

My truck ain't very loud straight piped, inside with the windows up. Never heard it outside besides on camera, or just sitting there idling, but I'm sure it's loud as hell.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just unclamped my stock muffler, pulled the hangers loose, and dropped it. Took all of 20 min. The stock pipe dumps just behind the cab...sounds great, and it won't cost you a thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.