Need Recommendations : 6.4 to 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Recommendations : 6.4 to 7.3

Evening everyone,

I am debating on talking to a local dealer here and trading in my 6.4 for a 7.3 when the right one comes in. What I currently have is a bone stock 2008 F250 XLT Short Bed, Extended Cab 35,000 miles. What I'm currently pulling is a 2007 Outback 21RS with a wet weight in the range of 6900lbs. Now I know either truck would easily pull my trailer around, however I'm curious on the long term fifth wheel / truck camper etc.

What I'm wanting to find is a 2001-2003 F350 7.3 CC SB Lariat with under 100k miles. Up here there are some locally selling for 12-15k, my truck is currently going for 32k. The main reason in the switch is saving money. Now, I don't know a whole lot on the 7.3's compared to the 6.4 besides the 235ish HP / 500TQ numbers and the difference in transmissions. Besides being an older vehicle, would there be a large negative to my intended use, and if so what? I only tow three months out of the year up here for the summer, so i'm wanting to get away from the EPA and get better mileage. My daily commute to work is 28 miles one way.

What would your thought's be in this situation? I'm almost positive i'll take some loss in the truck, as I only purchased it about six months ago .

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IMO the 7.3 is the best engine ever put in a Ford pickup, but they will be less sophisitcated and refined than that 6.4, albeit probably much more durable and reliable.

There are ways away from the EPA with your current setup though.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You'll love it, do some simple mods and get some PHP tunes on it and you'll be reasonably happy... good luck hunting!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

You will lose your butt on a trade like that, it would be best
to sale your truck and then go and buy you a 2000- 2003 off
of a lot somewhere or from a private sale.
Doug
Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just curious why 01-03 instead of 99-01 with forged rods bought my at 88k last Sept 104k now not one problem
Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Thanks guys for the response.

JEL : I have been looking into the DPF Delete with custom Tunes, but that's only if I intend on keeping my current rig.

WD40 : Problem that im in is the fact that i'm going to be going negative on the deal either way. Private party has a few trucks like mine with maybe 30k more miles, however they are Lariat / FX4 packages for what I owe. That's the one thing im still unsure on, if it's going to be worth it financially or to just keep what I have and do some upgrades to it with the plan to keep it till she dies.

usnavyad : Thanks for the info, the only thing I really know about the 7.3 is the reputation and the fact that I see a ton of them up here pulling tows around. If I can find a way not to lose myself on this deal i'll have to do some heavy reseach I see.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Is it just more or are a lot of people unhappy with the 6.4l
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Is it just more or are a lot of people unhappy with the 6.4l
Well, first and foremost I really do enjoy my 6.4L. It's the strongest smoothest truck I have owned. I guess reality set in that I only tow three months of the year for summer camping, the rest of the year it's snowing. So, if I can get away with something reliable, older, and is comfortable then why not?

There have been some people at work the recommend getting a 6.0, and then having a shop replace head steads etc. Not too sure if I want to go that route, I have seen some 6.0's with 80-100k miles going for 18-22k up here and they are showing up all over. Not sure if it's because warranty is running up and guys are trading them in, or if they really are having that many problems still even after the recalls.

Either way i'm open to saving 10-15k on the total life of a loan and be able to pull my trailer for three months of the year if I can swing it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Just general knowledge you know Ur not suppose to let a diesel sit
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Just general knowledge you know Ur not suppose to let a diesel sit
Well, currently my one way drive is 25 miles to work. Average a little over 400-500 miles in a normal work week, it is also my daily driver. Then when I take it out on the weekends for the summer most of my trips tack on another 300 miles one way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.