High Milage powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Milage powerstroke

Hello all,
I have a 01 F 350 7.3 power stroke, i bought off my dad with 394k miles and it is about to turn over 400k, he was quite anal about his fluid changes and maintenance and the truck runs like a top.
However all my friends keeps talking about all these mods, such as the BB fuel mod and the DIY cold air intake with a piece of tubing, however my old man keeps telling me, "don't fix something that is not broken" So my question is; is it safe to do any mods like these to try to increase performance and fuel mileage.
(I do have a superchip installed that has been the life of the engine.)
Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
get rid of the superchip cost you money in long run never heard of bb fuel mod but you def can do tymar intake with zoodad and be good to go more air will not harm the 7.3l, but if you are doing more id say do exhaust as well at least take the muffler off. More air in but less out hmmmm you see what im saying also it would be smart to invest in gauges with that tuner id be scared to have superchips on my truck
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The BB fuel mod is for the 6.0. At least there are some people doing a bb mod on the 6.0. I don't know if there is something out there for the 7.3. The BB is used to increase fuel pressure, there is a new updated spring that does this also.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I agree with your father. But at the same time, you can never go wrong with a better exhaust and better intake (well on a 7.3).
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Intake and exhaust won't hurt it. But I would definitely leave the truck mostly stock. Sounds like you've got a great running truck. Treat her nice and she'll treat you nicer.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM

bb fuel mod = fpr shim
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
get rid of the superchip cost you money in long run never heard of bb fuel mod but you def can do tymar intake with zoodad and be good to go more air will not harm the 7.3l, but if you are doing more id say do exhaust as well at least take the muffler off. More air in but less out hmmmm you see what im saying also it would be smart to invest in gauges with that tuner id be scared to have superchips on my truck
1) How will the superchip cost him in the long run?? The LONG run? The truck has 400k miles on it and had the superchip its whole life, sure seems like the superchips tuner did pretty damn well, don't ya think?

2) the BB mod increases the closing force of the fuel pressure regulator. A 400k mile truck probably has a weak spring, however, it most likely has a weak fuel pump as well. If you do the BB mod, be prepared to do the fuel pump mod (i.e. replace the fuel pump)

3) The stock intake and exhaust have quite a bit of flow stock. Its only when we are constantly towing heavy loads or increasing horsepower via fuel and timing (a new tuner) that we see considerable gains. You're fooling yourself if you think you can feel the difference in normal daily driving. Its louder... sure, but louder doesnt equal more power. As is, i would NOT zoodad, tymar, nor replace the exhaust unless you plan on running more aggressive tuning. I would not recommend more aggressive tuning on a 400k mile truck. You will not see an increase in fuel mileage and you may actually lose power.

4) The only thing i do agree with is gauges. They cant hurt. Gauges first, check EGT and boost. If EGTs are high, then and only then mess with the intake and exhaust. if boost is low, check for leaks and uppipes.

5) I'd be scared to have you drive my truck

So to the original poster, take these opinions with a huge grain of salt, especially Shawn's. This forum is full of regurgitated "facts" that have nothing to back them up. You have a strong, reliable truck. Leave it that way.

Your job is to make sure the truck is healthy first - Check fuel pressure, make sure there are no codes, check for boost leaks, check for a clogged exhaust sensor. Check your brakes for proper functionality. Beyond that, dont touch a thing unless you are ready to RAPIDLY decrease your reliability.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I agree with your father. But at the same time, you can never go wrong with a better exhaust and better intake (well on a 7.3).
If you're sharing... I'll take the woman on the upper left!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM

i thaught the bb mod was for the OBS? the 6.0 is an upgraded fpr spring.. as far as i know neather one applies to sd 7.3
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM

BB mod is on a 7.3 as well, but i have not seen any benefit. better method is to check fuel pressure with a gauge first and decide if its needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.