A/C issue on my 2000 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/C issue on my 2000

I'm having a weird problem with my A/C system on my 2000 F250. It will work at around town speeds and driving at highway speeds, but not work if driving a combination of both. I did some testing and found that when the system isn't working the compressor clutch does not have any voltage going to it. I've checked the freon and pressures, all are ok and I replaced the hi pressure switch but that didn't help. Anything that you can throw my way to help figure this out is greatly appreciated.
Lester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would love an answer to this question myself. I just had my E99 in the shop because the AC simply stopped working the other day. They couldn't find anything wrong with it but they were sure the clutch wasn't engaging. Their suggestion was to replace the compressor for no particular reason other than it doesn't seem to be working, and the condenser because there are some bent fins. I pointed out that it was putting out cold air last week, bent fins and all.

I should be honest here, they did say that the compressor was leaking a little bit and it took a pound and a half of refrigerant. They did service it about a month ago and included some dye when they topped the gas off. When they put the blacklight on the compressor it did show a tiny leak, but they freely said there was plenty of coolant in there to put out cold air.

They also told me that after the compressor and condenser I would need to take it to an electrical shop to track down the reason for the clutch not engaging.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What I would do is get a scan tool to monitor if the compressor is actually running. Temporarly bypass the hp and lp sensors one at a time to see if one is causing the issue. If the scan tool says the compressor is engauged, check the clutch.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 AM

I have to admit, the only thing I know less about than A/C is automatic transmissions, but I don't see how you can check if the compressor is running if the clutch isn't engaged?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 AM

SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

Check that link, sounds like it may be a simple air gap problem
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In my case I've checked and know that my clutch is not getting voltage when the problem occurs. I replaced the high pressure switch but not the low pressure. I'll look into it to see if that's the problem.
Lester
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Mine would cut in and out. Turned out to be the clutch spaces. Air Gap i guess? The clutches had worn out so much they were too far apart to engage when it tried to. Had it adjusted and still going great.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just went and checked he air gap.........out by 20 thou! Reset it back to tolerances and time will tell. I let everyone know in a couple of days if it fixed it.
Thanks,
Lester
Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Try to fix all leaks,then evacuate before recharging...remember,134A is a blend,and different blends leak more of one component than another.

You're probably going out on low pressure due to a blend leak..

Have you put a gauge on it while running?

What is the low pressure while running?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM

I think my problem might be in the thermostat. I have discovered the temperature is always set on high. That would explain why the compressor never turns on. Lord only knows how many times I've had the front part of the dash out. What I don't understand though is why was it working fine one minute and drops dead the next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.