tranny questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny questions

Okay what do I need to fdo to the stock tranny to make it better? When it goes into overdrive it feels like it goes in then back out of overdrive then back in, sometime it will do it 3 times depending on how my foot is in the pedal, what the hell is the tranny doing? Also seems like sometimes when it goes into overdrive it sounds like something is grinding, whats up with that??? I know get a bigger valve body and shift kit and all that, is something I will be able to do myself or do I need to take it to a tranny shop, I am pretty machanically inclined but never messed with a tranny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM

no one huh, well I have to say this is the first time I have ever posted and noone had an answer. Must not be a common problem, so I am not going to stress over it I guess.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
If you get a valve body the one you would change is pretty easy to do yourself. How many miles are on the tranny? With your chip it probably would not hurt to atleast upgrade the torque convertor too.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Torque Converter and valve body... if not valve body than a shift kit... that should make your tranny last a lil longer

-Raul
Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM

i am about to turn 100k
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I would think valve body and torque convertor and you'll be fine. I'm running 205K on my my 7.3 F-250 on the stock tranny and motor with no problems (and it has been abused!! )
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWayne View Post
I would think valve body and torque convertor and you'll be fine. I'm running 205K on my my 7.3 F-250 on the stock tranny and motor with no problems (and it has been abused!! )
yeah John, but you got a standard shift manual tranny. How many clutches in that 205k?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

not my 350. My 250 work truck is an auto
Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
For your trans problem going in and out of Overdrive all the time. I would have a shop check that out. Constantly shifting gears like that can prematurely wear out the clutch packs inside the transmission. If that has happened then you maybe looking at more then just a valve body and torq converter to repair the problem.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I'm a newbe I've had my 350 with training wheels sense she was new in 2000 all stock and she is a dog frienf of mine has an 03 and his will pull the frame out from under mind. Shop says nouthing wrong Bull. My tranny makes a growling sound ever sense the truck was new though I have just started pulling a fifth wheel camper @14000 lbs @ 12.2 MPG at 70 MPH. Everyone tells me the trannys will go at 120K I have 157K on mine. I can't kee IDM modules in mine every year and a half them go out right after the warranty goes out. Any tips on down pipes coolers would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.