Slop/play in my steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slop/play in my steering

I have about an 1.5" of slop in my steering (the truck would wander left to right on the road) after looking at this it appears to be in the steering box. I talked to a few people about this & they said to loosen the set screw on the steering box & adjust the nut 1/8"- 1/4" max (stressing MAX) so I did (almost a 1/4") this helped but it needs more if I tighten the set screw more is this going to cause any problems with the steering gear box I heard that if it gets to tight it will not "auto correct" after turning.
I had my wife get in the truck & move the steering wheel while I inspected the box & there is no movement of the other steering components.
Note: The truck is a 2002 4x4 with 105K miles & has wide (325) 35" tall tires & a Procomp 2.5 front leveling kit with 1" blocks in the rear.

I may tighten the steering box (MORE) today.......Any feed back will be appreciated!
Thanks again.
S.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
when I did mine a few months back I had to go a little more. Probably about 1/2". It did help out. I still have a little slop but it is not near as bad as it was. As far as it messing up the steering box i do not know. I have read on here that if you tighten it too much it will mess up the steering box. Of course my opinion in reference to my truck is that all other parts seem to be in good shape so by the process of elimination I determined that the steering box is the culprit. Having said that I tightened mine with the hopes that I can just get a few more miles outta it before I have to ultimately replace the steering box. Hope this helps. You might want to pm a tech on this for more in depth opinion.

Rob
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just read some other posts by TRUCKTROOPER & this is a common problem. I will turn the set screw alittle at atime & put some miles on it in between adjustments.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajharley View Post
when I did mine a few months back I had to go a little more. Probably about 1/2". It did help out. I still have a little slop but it is not near as bad as it was. As far as it messing up the steering box i do not know. I have read on here that if you tighten it too much it will mess up the steering box. Of course my opinion in reference to my truck is that all other parts seem to be in good shape so by the process of elimination I determined that the steering box is the culprit. Having said that I tightened mine with the hopes that I can just get a few more miles outta it before I have to ultimately replace the steering box. Hope this helps. You might want to pm a tech on this for more in depth opinion.

Rob
Rob, Thanks for the feed back & the quick response! I will slowly adjust mine to fine the sweet spot but also will be looking for an aftermarket replacement in time.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
I would say that is a good call. Some of the vendors on here may be able to get you a good deal on one. I will probably get mine from a vendor on here when I am ready. Good luck.

Rob
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I adjusted mine about 3 years ago and around 130K miles. I just tightened it until I felt resistance and then drove it. It did not auto correct and was hard to drive so I loosened it slightly and she has been all good ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.