Question...what happened??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
Question...what happened???

So today I was driving my dads 2002 f-250 7.3 it is completly bone stock no programmer exhaust or intake with around 145,XXX miles. has had hardly no problems if really any except for just regular up-keep. anyway this afternoon i was driving it and was in the turning lane to pull out into some pretty heavy traffic and i just put the pedal to the floor and the truck never blows any smoke if it does it is when the motor is cold but it had been on for a good 45 min and it was like 90 outside. anyway layed into it until i got till about 45 or so and then let off when i let off a HUUUUUUUGEEEE black cloud of smoke came out i mean like blackker and thicker than my own truck blows with a programmer and it worried me what was going on....just for the heck of it the next red light i put it to the floor again and let off at about the same time and nothing at all...any ideas of what it could of been??? thanks again guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Could be a sign of an injector dying a slow death. I had this problem on a Mercedes 5cyl diesel, it would puff a LOT (think locomotive) of black when I floored it from time-to-time, but not every time, seemed random. Anyway, about 10k later I started to get a nasty knock in an injector, some diesel purge cleared it up but only temporarily. In the end, it needed a new set of injectors.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

oh damn...my ol man is not guna like the sound of that....like i said the truck NEVER blows smoke except when its cold but even then its a really light stream of it and you cant hardly tell.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM

It's possible it was just an aberration, so I would keep a close eye on fuel and oil consumption. You may want to get those injectors tested, though, as a bad injector can spell big problems in diesel motors (especially Common Rail Cummins!). Try running some Diesel Kleen through it for several tanks, could just be some built up carbon. Hopefully others will chime in, and hopefully it was just the truck coughing up a little.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say don't tell your old man a thing, cause he'll probably kick your *** for flooring his truck.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I'd say don't tell your old man a thing, cause he'll probably kick your *** for flooring his truck.
Heheh--don't ask, don't tell.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM

haha thanks guys! yeah your right about the don't tell him about flooring it...he probably would ha. but okay ill think ill mention something to him about it blowing some smoke just because I don't want him going and have to spend tons of money because i was thought it was cool to see his truck blow smoke. thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.