Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AIH delete??? More info please!!

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  roccodart440 
#1 ·
I was noticing some pictures of some different engine bays and the air intake heater wasn't there one a few, but they run a boost line... By deleting the AIH, does that effect the cold start at all???
I live in Denver and it can get pretty cold here.. I haven't bothered with mine, but it does make sense for more airflow. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

G
#2 ·
AIH

Not all models have them. It is in the intake Y pipe. Get a brass plug from the plumbing supply store and make sure it has a threaded hole in the middle. Then get a nipple that you can thread into it and put your boost line on. The #1 reason to get rid of your AIH is it has no effect on performance therefore you dont need it and it is a potential grenade for your engine if it ever comes apart and gets sucked into the motor.

#3 ·
But will it effect it starting when it's cold in anyway?
thanks!

#5 ·
Thanks, that's good to know. Because i haven't dropped my motor in yet and i have my Y-pipe handy, I'm going to take it into the hardware store and find a fitting that fits it and do that before the new one gets dropped in.
Appreciate all the help!

#7 ·
When you find the fitting, would you let all us know which thread and size? I can't really take the y-pipe off and goto the store...so your research will help out a lot of us that can't have any down time. (I was going to do the AIH delete when I did the turbo...but I forgot about it.)

#8 ·
Yeah.. I'm going to try and get to it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted about what i find.

#9 ·
So, I said i would post the threading size for the AIH delete when i found it. I bought a 1/2" brass fitting with a 1/4" in the middle for the vacuum line. As you can see with the pictures, you can use a vacuum line port or you can use a compression fitting. There are also a couple pictures of the two ways so you can get an idea of both. All for under 5 bucks! You can also reuse the copper washer that was on stock unit. I'm probably going to do that and put an O-ring on there as well. Hope that helps you guys!

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6353/cimg0566my5.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4795/cimg0567aq6.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5889/cimg0568hh2.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6383/cimg0569ii4.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9505/cimg0570vn4.jpg

#11 ·
Oh yeah, in the pictures the fittings aren't screwed in all the way (threaded in a little bit) just for the picture, but they all screw in really nice and flush.

Oh yeah... The 1/2 thread might seem loose at first, but put into consideration that it's a tapered thread so it'll tighten up real nice.

#22 ·
Just trying to clarify here....you used a 1/2" npt fitting, right? I was under the assumption that it was a metric 22mm fitting. If you say it snugs up nice and the threads on the intake aren't getting messed up, I will do this tomorrow! I want to move the line for the boost gauge from the map sensor to this location!:)

#12 ·
Just a FYI, the IAH has NOTHING to do with cold start, it is there only for white smoke on extended idleing times.

#13 ·
Thanks for the info! My motto: If i don't need it, I'm taken it off!

#14 ·
Yeah I will just add when the temps drop you will smoke a bit more at startup without the aih perfect if you don't like your neighbors:)

#15 ·
Thats kinda hit and miss... it will not turn on unless the oil temp is up to operating temp, the E brake is on and the truck is in park... Ie it never turns on...:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Must be just my truck then because before the aih mod I didn't smoke much if at all during cold temps and now its a frieght train till the truck warms up a bit probobly a good minute when the temps are in the 30's or below:thumb:

#17 ·
Yah doing some reading on the AIH - it has to meet some SPECIFIC circumstances such as CSIPSD stated - therefore it generally never comes on. I'll be doing it also... just curious - do you have to remove the Y-pipe to do it or do you just unscrew the AIH and it fits thru the hole???

#18 ·
unscrew and install plug... Remove all the wires for it and your done... Hell you dont even need to buy anything, just cut the heater element off of it...

#21 ·
I thought about doing that too, just cutting off the element and the threaded part, but then i thought it would be a good spot for the boost gauge.

#19 ·
All you have to do is unscrew AIH from the hole, save the copper washer and replace with the fittings. I had my Y-pipe out already because of my motor swap, but you should be able to get to it fine without removing the Y-pipe.

#24 ·
just did it. $3.28 from home depot for a plug.

#25 ·
Will this create any codes or is there any way to delete with no problems

#26 · (Edited)
I don't know if it will hurt anything, but I took it out and left the electrical connections on and just ziped tied it out of the way. Then pluged the hole back up. I heard it will throw a "soft" code if you just leave the wires disconnected.

#27 ·
puredieselpower.com sells a wire that will eliminate the code for the Aih delete. Does anybody know where the wire connects? You can buy the wire and 2 terminal lugs at Radio Shack for $4 vice paying puredieselpower.com $19 + S&H if you know where to hook up at.

#28 ·
The wire doesnt work 90 percent of the time. Just leave it alone, its a soft code and causes no issues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.