Farm diesel fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Farm diesel fuel

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but is there anything wrong with using it in the 7.3? I hear that the only difference is the dye in it. Does it have any more or less lubricity properties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm View Post
I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but is there anything wrong with using it in the 7.3? I hear that the only difference is the dye in it. Does it have any more or less lubricity properties?
There is nothing wrong, at this point most off road fuel is ULSD, so no difference. Places like rural Alaska are still rocking LSD, better lubricating fuel. The only word of caution is cops can dip your tank and fines usually are pretty hefty.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My truck is Farm Tagged, and I have a Ag card from the state of Oklahoma, so, there should be no worries about getting checked....It is about 40 cents cheaper here at $3.29 a gallon, so if there's nothing wrong with using it, that's where Im going to start filling up.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM

Might want to check how old it is... I know around here a lot of the farmers get home heating oil (which comes dyed red) in their tanks because they don't trust the ULSD.

My friend had his 275 gal heating oil tank topped off when his oilburner furnace **** the bed (similar situation happened to my parents) and he installed a natural gas one and hooked up to the municipal line. In both situations, my '97 ran juuuuuuust fine on it... when I pumped out the tanks I made sure as to run it through a filter to keep out any sludge nasties which tend to accumulate inside 275 tanks.

I'm sure some here on the forum will gripe and complain that you're burning non-taxed fuel, but when you donate as many free 40's and packs of smokes to the welfare recipients as I do every Apr15, you might not feel so bad about getting a few hundred tax-free miles every now and again.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Uhh.. yeah. I pay my fair share of taxes! About 20,000 a year. So, Im good with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post
Might want to check how old it is... I know around here a lot of the farmers get home heating oil (which comes dyed red) in their tanks because they don't trust the ULSD.
Many states require home heating oil to ULSD compliant too nowadays and typically heating oil doesn't have any anti-gel in it so a good cold snap will cause issues.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yup just red dye.. and since you have the ag stuff go for it.. its ulsd like everything else.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
yup just red dye.. and since you have the ag stuff go for it.. its ulsd like everything else.
I didn't realize this; been trying to find some info about what states have ULSD home heating oil requirements. I was still under the impression that HHO (no, not the gas) blends weren't subject to the ulsd requirements.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm View Post
My truck is Farm Tagged, and I have a Ag card from the state of Oklahoma, so, there should be no worries about getting checked....It is about 40 cents cheaper here at $3.29 a gallon, so if there's nothing wrong with using it, that's where Im going to start filling up.
Ag Card and Ag tags dont matter. You can still get nailed from running untaxed fuel on the roads in anything other than farm equipment.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 AM

Wouldn't ag tags make his truck street legal farm equipment? I could be wrong but that's the impression I got when he said that? I don't know anything about it so im just an inquiring mind wanting to know... its hard to find red fuel close to home here so we run regular diesel in our tractor because of the cost to go get the red fuel is more than just hitting the local shell station and getting fuel that way...

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.