Trying to understand coolant requirements for diesel engines - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to understand coolant requirements for diesel engines

So what is so special about diesel engines vs. gas engines as far as coolant goes? Does the water pump move enough water to fill the Hoover dam or something? Is there a reason I don't want to use the ELC that Toyota sells and that I use in my 4runner? Good to something like 150,000 miles between changes. The engine is iron and aluminum. What is in a 7.3L diesel that would make it need something different?

Just looking to learn what's unique about diesels.

Found this. Is what they are saying relevant to our engines? http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/...antifreeze.htm

Last edited by ttyR2; 08-15-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 AM

I did a search and there is alot of info on this subject. Im getting ready to change my coolant in my truck with something better. Btw i own a couple 4-runners
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
So what is so special about diesel engines vs. gas engines as far as coolant goes? Does the water pump move enough water to fill the Hoover dam or something? Is there a reason I don't want to use the ELC that Toyota sells and that I use in my 4runner? Good to something like 150,000 miles between changes. The engine is iron and aluminum. What is in a 7.3L diesel that would make it need something different?

Just looking to learn what's unique about diesels.

Found this. Is what they are saying relevant to our engines? Protect Your Engine with the Right Antifreeze
It would really depend on what it is the coolant you use in your 4runner. If it is a propylene glycol base, I would not use it.

Cylinder pitting and cavitation are the biggest problems with respect to coolant facing the 7.3. You can run MC green (for 15-30k), MC gold (or Zerex G-05) for 5 years and 50-150k or ELCs for 3-8 years and 300k-1000k.

I am running Valvoline Zerex G-05 with no problems.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's different about a diesel has to do with the 'knock' produced when the cylinder fires

This powerful force can produce tiny bubbles on the Outside of the steel cylinder sleeve (the coolant side not the piston side) and is the source of the cavitation you read about

Over time, these cavitation bubbles will damage the steel sleeve (just like the pitting you see on a boats prop) and can actually pierce the the cylinder wall

Coolant is NOT the place to ''cheap-out'' on a diesel
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
What's different about a diesel has to do with the 'knock' produced when the cylinder fires

This powerful force can produce tiny bubbles on the Outside of the steel cylinder sleeve (the coolant side not the piston side) and is the source of the cavitation you read about

Over time, these cavitation bubbles will damage the steel sleeve (just like the pitting you see on a boats prop) and can actually pierce the the cylinder wall

Coolant is NOT the place to ''cheap-out'' on a diesel
Important thing to remember the 7.3 PSD and T444e isn't a sleeved engine and thus those tiny bubbles directly attack the cylinder wall! Bad news!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

For the best coolant use a true ELC that meets the strict EC-1 rating. Just don't grab a jug because it says ELC on it. You need to look to make sure it meets the strict EC-1 rating. You also don't buy coolant because of the color, the color means nothing, again, read and make the right choice. Fleetrite's ELC , which is the same as Rotella's is good for 300K and out to 600K if the extender is used at 300K. All of this without checking the SCA level.
Of course I would never live any fluid in my truck for that long, but it is good to know I can. Make sure you only buy the concentrate and not the 50/50 mix. You will also need 24 gallons of distilled water, see the manager of your local grocery store, mine gave it to me for .50 per gal. Do a proper flush n fill, this is very critical, this is also a good time to add a coolant filter and to switch the upper rad hose to one from a dual alt set up that goes around the fan belt instead of through it. I have posted the " how to" on proper flush n fill multiple times. If you can't find it PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.